We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soccer/Futbol!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Soccer/Futbol!

Hi everyone,

We will be in the Naples/Amalfi Coast area in mid-September and the main thing my husband wants to do is see Napoli - the soccer team that his beloved Diego Maradona used to play on.

Those of you who live there, do you know how I can find out if they're playing in Naples on Sept. 11 and if so, do I have to buy tickets ahead of time? If not, are there other teams we could go see? We're staying in Positano but will travel a couple of hours to see Italian futbol!

Thanks for your help!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

'futbol' is spanish (and portuguese, i think) - the italians call it 'calcio'.

i doubt that the fixture list for next season has been announced yet. this season ends in a few weeks time (end of may, i think), and i'm not exactly sure when next season starts. the first matches of the current season were on sept 11th, so i would imagine it would be around that time.

oh, mind you, all of those dates i just gave you were for serie a (top division). i don't even know what division napoli are in now....

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

Oops - you're right, Calcio! I'm used to speaking in Spanish and some of the words are the same/similar...

Thanks for the info - Napoli is not in the top division anymore so I guess I'll just wait and see closer to the date we're going.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

napoli don't even seem to be in serie b anymore! what happened? they used to be good!

i have a vague idea they might have gone bankrupt - it happened to a lot of clubs in italy. mozzarellagirl might know more...

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

Hi iushad;

Napoli are now in C1b,but could qualify via the play-off's and be in serie B in sept.due to the world cup the season should start a week earlier-so you should be able to see a game.

If Napoli are at home,you will easily get tickets on the day,or the day before-if not you could go to salernitano or avellino.

Let us know how you get on!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

Hi FamilyTravellers,

Thanks for your help! Is there a website or something where I can find information on the games and the other two teams/places you mention? Thanks again - my husband will be very happy!

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soccer/Futbol!

I am sorry but probably there are not soccer machts at that time!