We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Naples area for my 60 year old parents to stay in

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Best Naples area for my 60 year old parents to stay in

My 60 year old parents are leaving in a few days to visit Naples and the Amalfi Coast. They are going to spend two nights in Naples to visit the archaelogical museum and other historical sites. Can anyone (Mozzarella Girl?) recommend the best (safest) area of town for them to stay? They would like a hotel in the 100-125 Euro range. Thanks!

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Naples area for my 60 year old parents to stay in

Gosh I hope they haven't left already and don't see this - I was in Rome for a few days - in any case i suggeted elsewhere the chiaia area as the safest central area to stay - within walking distance of most of the main sites or best for transport links. Chiaia is upmarket and pretty, lots of shops and cafes and restaurants. Either venere.com you could so a search for that area specifically or i would recommend either ausonia (mergellina) or www.terrazzapignatelli.com or www.cappellavecchia11.it - these are both v pleasant B&Bs in nice parts of town. Some of the quieter parts of town - eg. Posillipo and Vomero are problematic without a car or there is a scarcity of hotels. The price range is not easy either - Naples is rather expensive for accommodation - and we are now in high season - and contrary to what people may think Naples is a very busy tourist destination (and commercial!) and hotel accommodation is not always easy to find - so choice may be limited leaving it till last minute. In any case at the airport or train station there are accommodation reservation services which find hotels for people - usually piazza garibaldi alas alack as here there's a surplus...there's also the neapolis, very convenient for the archeological museum. I would say to your parents to be careful, avoid handbags and cameras dangling - better to have good deep pockets (velcro fastening even better) to put valuables and walk around with the minimum - say one credit card not an entire wallet-ful. Keep passport at hotels in general but they might be needed to get concession discounts (think museums are free for over 60s or it might be over 65s?) A photocopy or two might be useful to get round this or a drivers' license - losing your passport would be a pain. Highly recommend the red open-top tourist buses, which leave outside the castel nuovo as a perfect way of getting their bearings and saving their legs (60 year old or 20 year old legs!) as Naples is full of hills and what looks like a short skip and a hop on a map can take much longer...

other accommodation ideas - the hotel chiaia is really nice - two mins from piazza plebescito. On Venere - check B&Bs as well as residenza or hotels. Alternatively there's the dolcesonno B&Bs - really nice, typical area is behind piazza plebescito in via egiziaca - very central and there's a great restaurant called amici miei and a typical little trattoria called mattatone nearby too. Whilst this is a 10 min walk or so from the centro storico it's nicer to be here at night time - and caff�� gambrinus (beautiful inside) would be their local cafe. If you or they need any more help please post again. Naples is a great place, it requires energy though so they should eat a big lunch and a smaller dinner! (not difficult to do here) - i would also say to turn in earlyish - 10pm or so - as the city does get rather quiet later at night and can feel more sinister. I'm sure they'll have a great time. Smiles and the odd Italian word - if they don't speak much Italian - will help them if they need help from the locals. That goes for anyone - grazie (thank you), per favore (please), buon giorno(good day) buona sera (good evening), buona notte (good night - at bed time); and sign language rules here so being a good mime is also a useful skill!

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Naples area for my 60 year old parents to stay in

Thanks for the info, Mozzarella Girl! My parents just got back and had a great time. They ended up staying at the Grand Hotel Europa and thought it was very nice. Thanks again for your help!