We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More on the refuse problem in Naples

Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
More on the refuse problem in Naples

You might want to access www.independent.co.uk/news/europe/. There is an article on Italy's toxic waste crisis. I just Googled

"Italy's toxic waste crisis" and found this article. Of all the places in the world I wanted to see was Naples and the beautiful little village my ancestors came from. When I was there last it was so lovely.Have been planning this for months and given the Euro vs dollar, it's no small expense. I am bringing 3 young people with me to see where their great-grandparents came from and to meet their Italian cousins. I had hoped this rubbish thing would have been resolved by now. I am so disheartened. I may not even be able to have a slice of pizza!?! I can't cancel. I want to weep!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

Hi Poodle26

We have just spent a week in Sorrento and Naples and the rubbish really did not impinge on our holiday - we had a most wonderful holiday in these places. They are awesome destinations. I guess we just ignored the piles of rubbish - like the locals must do and just get on with their lives.

Please have the trip of a lifetime with your young friends and visiting your family connections.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Corona
Level Contributor
483 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

We just returned from 7 days in Naples (3/13-20). It is messier than it was in 2002, the previous visit. Thehistorical center is only piled with trash after the shops close and before the rubbish trucks can make their rounds. It is picked up by morning. The suburbs are pretty messy in comparison. We went to Soccavo, Bagnoli, Pozzouli, Arco Felice and many other areas. They were more messy than the center, but not usually like has been portrayed in the media. The cities weren't piled 12 feet high in trash bags. It wasn't much worse than when we lived there in the 70's. They had really made progress cleaning up, but have recently taken steps backward.

Don't stay home and miss a wonderful place, just don't expect the same standard as Copenhagen, Reykjavik, or another Scandinavian place. Make sure your hotel is well sound-proofed as night is when they do a lot of trash pick up, store/restaurant deliveries, and subway construction.

You would probably regret staying home, especially as you have family ties in the area.What village did your ancestors come from?

Buon viaggio,

Christ

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

Thank you for the encouragement. I first saw this report and others earlier on RAI. I followed up by looking for the original article. We are going on our trip anyway. Too late to cancel. It just makes sme very sad. My Italian family comes from Avella. It's a lovely town. It was originally a Roman castra and has a lot of antiquites as well as a farm next to the Tombe Romani. The family still owns the farm, though most of them live in town.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

I'll be in Naples next week. I've been reading articles like this since the start of the year. Although the problem is a serious one, what the articles always neglect to mention is that the visible signs of the rubbish problem are mostly in certain suburbs where tourists to the region are not likely to go. Although one may see piles almost immediately upon coming out of the airport (or from a train window) when arriving, the city itself just isn't that bad.

I had to smile at the reference in the article to the "Association of Authentic Neapolitan Pizza-makers." The first thing I'm going to do after checking into my hotel is go find a delicious pizza.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Smyrna, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

There might be a few minor quirks but I think that if you go with your heart focused on your real goals (family history, meeting family, etc) and don't fixate too much on the problems you'll be fine. It's not overwhelming. I was just there 2 weeks ago for a short visit, and the city is a bit rough around the edges, but I'm glad I went. If I was going for the reasons you state, in no way would the trash, or other problems in Naples have gotten in the way - it's just not that bad. The pizza was great. Have a good time and relax :)

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

Thanks so much for all your encouragement. I"M GOING!!! Have wanted to see Naples for the last 10 years and I am going...Samantha Brown had a program on Naples on Travel Channel. I saw only the last of it so I went to her journals: (www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha _Brown/) and read her Naples journal. It was disappointing. I don't know why people persist in giving this old city a black eye. Even my grand-nephew (aged 7) is proud of his Italian heritage. My niece called last nite and asked if I could send photos for him of the Roman tombs and amphitheatre in Avella so he could bring them to show-and-tell.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

"a slice of pizza":

go to Naples. Find the Cafe Porta Alba:

http://www.cafeportaalba.com/napoli.htm

ask for a "ripiena"; if you are a wine person, you may want a glass of Lacrima Christi del Vasuvio with that.

Your sorrows will soon be forgotten. Things are never as bad as they appear on the news sites. And Naples has been doing just fine for over 2300 years now.

Trust me,

P_M

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Alba
Alba
Province of Cuneo, Italy
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

Yes poodle, come to Napoli. I'm here right now and it is glorious. Oh my god, what a crazy fascinating place. And the best part is, I feel like I'm one of maybe three tourists in the city. The streets are as crowded as they can be, but with locals! You sure don't find this Rome.

Will you see piles of garbage? Once in while perhaps, but the city is hardly drowning in it.

Too tired to say more...I need to rest up before dinner. Will write a trip report when I return.

Mentioned in this post
Napoli Suite
Napoli Suite
402 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

My hubby and I are going to Naples end of June this year. When people act aghast at our decision, we tell them we like to live on the edge :) But I understand it is not a city for everyone. My dad spent a month in Naples in the Navy and didn't enjoy one day of it. Sometimes it is a matter of perspective--personally, I don't care if the toxic waste is piled chest deep in front of my hotel if I get to see the sights we're planning to see! That's me though. Anyways, to all planning visits (especially jjkdc!), I can't wait to read all of your trip reports when you get back!

~L

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: More on the refuse problem in Naples

Just look out that the pizza does not have mozzarella on. Huge outcry at the moment because it is considered outwith the toxic level allowed.

tests being done and production taking a knock.

Why do they expect that others get rid of their waste that is my big question.