We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip

ireland
Level Contributor
354 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip

Can anybody offer advise on what is worthwhile visiting in Naples itself, would like to spend perhaps half a day there.

Sydney, Aust
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip

We stayed in Naples for a couple of nights. Vesuvius is interesting, as is Pompeii of course. For Naples itself we stayed in the old part of town (Decumano Maggiore) but were disappointed that many of what the guide books had described as great sights/points of historical significance were neglected/covered in graffiti/had weeds sprouting out of them. One notable exception was the Museo Archeologico Nazionale, which has a fantastic collection of important archaeological pieces including from Pompeii/Herculaneum. Easy to spend a number of hours there, and easy to get to by subway.

NYC
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip

My husband and I were in Naples last week. Hated it. Dirty, run-down and noisy. I'm from New York City so I'm used to big city life but Naples is just not it. The travel guides I read were misleading thus my husband and I were really disappointed when we arrived in town. There may be a few things to see, however, we weren't at the least motivated to even get out of the car. Traffic was a nightmare with people on their motorscooters coming at us from every direction. Parking was also very difficult. We originally planned to allocate half a day to Naples but quickly changed our minds after arrival. Couldn't wait to get out of there. We headed to Vesuvious which offered a great view of the Bay of Naples if you're willing to hike ( we took trail No. 5 which is about 60 minutes roundtrip). Pompeii was also great--just bring a hat and water because it can get really hot.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip

We spent a day in Naples recently, traveling by train from our base in Sorrento. Our guidebook said that many people go to Naples, make a beeline for the Archeological Museum, and then leave immediately and that it is a shame people don't spend more time there. The Museum has a world-class collection, including many major items that have been brought there from Pompeii and other areas. However, as is typical of many museums abroad, ten items that would each get a room of their own at the Smithsonian with a large explanatory exhibit are displayed in one room with fairly perfunctory explanations. On the other hand, many exhibits have English explanations, and we in the U.S. do not often provide translations in other languages for tourists. But the city otherwise is the most densely populated in Europe and is appropriately noted for being chaotic and dirty, a place where a red light truly is only a suggestion. I was intrigued, but my wife couldn't wait to get out of town, despite a nice lunch at a tranquil cafe (Caff�� Letterario Intra Moenia at Piazza Bellini).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip

Well, I'll offer a different experience. We spent three nights in Naples last month and wish we had more time.

We'd heard all the stories going in and expected everything we found: the graffiti, the Vespas, the dirt, the traffic, the weeds growing on monuments... But I found Naples invigorating and fascinating, and the more time we spent there, the more I liked it. Maybe it was because we went in with tempered expectations. Maybe it was because we didn't feel like we were elbow-to-elbow with other tourists. I don't know....

Some of the things we enjoyed:

-The Archeological Museum.

-Napoli Sotterranea - tour of the underground aqueducts, tunnels and caverns that date to the city's Greek beginnings.

-The Duomo, and the Greek and Roman ruins beneath it.

-Capella Sansevero, which has some amazing sculptures, including the veiled Christ.

-The unique tiled cloisters of Santa Chiara, as well as the very well done museum that depicts the church before and after the war and the adjacent ruins of Roman baths.

-Various other small churches. Take your pick; there are 300+ in the historical center. Like Pio Monte della Misericordia, which has Caravaggio's The Seven Acts of Mercy at its altar.

-Certosa di San Martino atop Vomero hill. There couldn't have been more than 10 people visiting while we were there. Very interesting complex, and fabulous views over Naples. Vomero, by the way, is like being in another world; very quiet compared to the chaos below it.

-Castel Sant'Elmo, next to the Certosa. Even better views. It now hosts various exhibitions, and we happened upon one with a very extensive collection of works by Escher.

-Walking along the bay in the Chiaia/St. Lucia area, and a late afternoon at Castel dell'Ovo on a spit of land near the harbor. More fabulous views.

-And just wandering through the narrow streets of the historical center, taking in sights and smells, with fish stalls next to world famous pizzerias, next to gold shops, next to craftsmen creating nativity figurines.

Naples isn't for everyone, but I'd call it one of the most interesting places I've visited in a long time.

Bellevue, NE
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip

Ms Go--

I enjoyed your post with suggestions of the "best" of Naples- what you enjoyed most.

Where was the best pizza, in your opinion? And how did you get to the shoreside to stroll along the bay view?

My sister and I are going to Italy in September, and we will be staying for 1 night in Naples before flying out of there the next afternoon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip

laleona -

We had pizza at Pizzeria Gino Sorbillo on via Tribunali and enjoyed it.

To get to the bay, we walked from Piazza Plebiscito along the via Chiaia and over to the park around Villa Comunale and near the aquarium. From there, we crossed the street and walked along the path back to St. Lucia and Castel dell'Ovo, then continued along the water back to the Giardini Pubblico and Palazzo Reale.

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip

We also just returned from Naples. Naples is like a beautiful woman with dirty feet. We agree that there are a lot of interesting things to see and do inside the city of Naples. We stayed in the Decumano Maggiore area as well and visited the Duomo which we found fascinating and not as crowded as St.Peter's in Rome.

Although it was a shame to see so much garbage and graffitti in certain areas we enjoyed our stay. We ate at a great pizza place (Solo Pizza) and I'll try and find the address as I saved all of my receipts and also grabbed a menu from the pizza place. It was the best 4euro pizza that I've ever tasted!

Bellevue, NE
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip

Thanks for the tips on where to get pizza and how to get to the bayside.