We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

I need advice on the best way to get from Rome to Sorrento. We will be traveling in July.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Italy Limousine
Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Angela Grimaldi Tour
City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Funicolare di Montesanto
Mass Transportation Systems, Taxis & Shuttles, Railways
Curreri Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

Most people take the train (Eurostar or IC+) to Naples, then switch to the Circumvesuviana to get to Sorrento. This is a commuter train that runs every 20-30 minutes, 7 days a week.

You should know that there is no air conditioning on the Circumvesuviana train, and the trip takes about an hour. Another option is to arrange for a driver to pick up at the Naples train station and take you to your hotel in Sorrento. I believe this usually costs around 80 euros.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
314 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

I am trying to book the opposite: Sorrento to Rome. I will take the local to Naples and then want to book at fast train for a Sunday Am in July from Naples to Rome.

I attempted to do this an hour ago on the Trentitalia website. My credit card was denied. I have been assured that the card is fine and since my daughter is already traveling in europe it has been flagged for european purchases.

I am reading that Trentitalia has problems with NON european CC. On another thread in general italy on trip advisor, it was suggested just to purchase at the train station the day before. we want first class, reserved seats for a sunday on a fast train. would we need to do this a day in advance? I really hate to waste time going to naples from sorrento on our last day there.

i really want to book this before hand. any suggestions? Help please!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

Trains in Italy rarely sell out. Furthermore, there are many trains between Naples and Rome every day. You could arrive at Napole Centrale from Sorrento and very likely easily purchase a ticket on a train to Naples leaving within the next 30-60 minutes.

However, one advantage of purchasing tickets in advance is that you can take advantage of the Amica fare, if it's still available for that particular train. It saves you about 20% on the cost of tickets. I have no doubt there is a travel agent in Sorrento where you could walk in and purchase your tickets in advance. I believe they display the "Trenitalia" sign if they sell train tickets.

FYI - the fastest train is the Altavelocita. It the most expensive and gets you to Rome in about 90 minutes. The regular Eurostar trains are cheaper and take about 2 hours. The IC+ trains are cheaper still, and the trip is only slightly longer. I've ridden all three and found there to be virtually no difference among these trains in terms of seating comfort, etc. But based on what I've read of others' experiences, the IC+ trains are little less predictable in this regard.

Also, there is virtually no difference between first and second class on most trains. The only advantage I've ever noticed is that the first class cars are generally closer to the end of the platform, thus slightly less walking is involved.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
314 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

jjkdc

Thanks

I was looking at one that had a travel time of 1hr 27mn which will work for my husband who is not really a train traveller. The quicker and more comfortable, the better!

5. Re: Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:19