We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

I will be arriving in Naples by air at around noon on Friday, September 26, and will then be going to Sorrento. We have never been to this area before and would appreciate some directions. I have read some older forum posts and I see that the Circumvestuviana train line travels from Naples to Sorrento. What is the best way to get from the airport to the train station? Taxi? Approximately how long does it take to get between stations and about much should we expect to pay for a taxi? Some of the older posts warn about taxi drivers and I am wondering if that has changed? Do the trains run pretty frequently and is it best to make reservations? Finally, is this the best way to travel between Naples and Sorrento?

Thank so much for your help!!

Chap

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

Hi Chap

there is a bus that goes from the airport to Sorrento. That is the quickest way.

here's the info

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

The choice is really what you want to deal with after a long journey.We'll be flying into Naples from Boston-Rome-Naples. We researched the options

Train - possible but a lot of transfers (airport-train station-train station-hotel) with luggage and a train to Sorrento that can be crowded and difficult to access with luggage. Taxis from both the airport and the sorrento train station -

Bus - The Curierre Bus (not sure of spelling) is availabble at the Naples airport and takes you to Central Sorrento - taxi to hotel - not a bad option

Ferry - Same issues as the train but a nicer ride

Limo - meets you personnally at the arrivals exit, takes your luggage, and drives you directly to your hotel - about 80 Euro

In the end we decided on the limo - After considering our own tiredness from the flights, dealing with luggage and taxis etc, we felt it was worth it to start our trip on a more relaxed note

we are using DeMartino snc (www.autoservizidemartino.com)

Columbus
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

I used info@amedeoavellino.com for transfers and tours, excellent services and reasonable prices.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

A lot depends on your budget. And wht you normally do about jet lag.

We flew into Naples once in 2006. it has been too expensive for us since then. Flying into Rome was much cheaper for us.

You can take the Alibus for 3 euro from the airport to the Piazza Garibaldi train station. It is supposed to run every 30 min That's what we did. My daughter and I deal with jet lag by staying awake at all costs until at least 7 pm.

We have taken the Circumvesuviana many times with our luggage from the Piazza garibaldi train station to Sorrento. The ride cost about 3 euros. It is an hour and 15 min trip. We have not had to stand with our luggage more than maybe the first 15 min. After that we took up 2 seats each, one with our bag. We are budget travelers and never considered the possible 100 europs cost of a private driver from Naples to Sorrento. The Circumvesuvian runs about every 30 min.

I have heard that there are buses from the Naples airport driectly to Sorrento without stopping in Naples themselves. We have never taken them because after 2006 we have flown into Rome instead of Naples, but instead have arrived by train at the train station anyway.

Once when the Alibus was late we took a taxi from the Piazza Garibaldi train station to the airport and it cost 25 euros. Do NOT get into a taxi in Naples unless you have and approximate cost. I have been ripped off on other occasions by Naples taxi drivers.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

My info about being ripped off by taxi drivers in Naples is fresh. In may 2008 we took a taxi from the Piazza garibaldi train station to beverello Port to catch a hydrofoil to Capri. I did not ask how mcuh the fare would be becasue I was under the impression that it was controlled at 12 euros. When we got out the taxi driver wanted 50 euros. When I questioned about this, he got angry and started shouting about Italian/English miscommunication. I paid him to shut him up, but never again. On the way back I negotiated with a group of 4 taxi drivers. I finally got one of them to"accept" a 20 euros offer to take us to the train staiton.

6. Re: Naples to Sorrento (Arrive via air; to Sorrento by rail?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 20:15