We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice neighborhood to live?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
78 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Nice neighborhood to live?

Hi,

My fiance may take a 6-9 month work assignment near Naples (Pomigliano to be exact) so I am doing research on where to live (doesn't sound like his work will be very helpful with finding accomodation). Does anyone have suggestions on nice neighborhoods to look at? Ideally it would be somewhere safe with easy access to public transportation.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

The Vomero district has always been considered more 'exclusive' than the areas in the old town. I don't know what the Vomero area is like nowadays, and whether it still keeps this 'aura' of gentility.

I don't know about transport, except there is a 'tangenziale' that gets you around the outside of the city quite quickly - to places like the airport, instead of driving through the centre, which has always been a slow nightmare because of traffic jams.

Public transport ? don't know nowadays, but the metro/underground railway has been updated and improved, so perhaps someone who has been to Naples more recently can inform you on that part.

Buses I think have always been a pain - unless they are the Blue Sita coaches which are airconditioned and get around to the towns and villages outside the city.

Be careful with 'suburbia' as some of the suburbs have troubles, social problems and the local mafia/gangs....not to mention the 'rubbish problem'. keep reading the Naples edition of the national papers on the internet, you'll get the idea as to which areas have most trouble.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

Pomigliano appears to be several miles east of the city. I have no idea what it's like in that area. Do you know if there is even a rail line you can take from the city to get to your work place?

Vomero is a nice upscale and relatively quiet neighborhood, as is Chiaia. The historic center, especially the area around Piazza Dante, is quite nice (not so quiet though).

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

As the last poster said.... Piazza Dante.... but it does lead to Via Roma / Toledo (including Chiaia that's always been an upmarket shopping area) but watch out not to venture into the roads off the side of Via Roma/ Toledo called 'Quartieri Spagnoli'... they're 'old town' too, and rife with criminal activity - sort of place that the pick pockets and handbag snatchers run off to hide in....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
78 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

Thanks for the suggestions! We will have a car which my fiance will take to his work in Pomigliano. The public transport is for me, so I have a way to get around and explore while he's working.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

Avoid run down areas such as Scampia, Piscinola, San Giovanni a Teduccio, Poggioreale, Secondigliano and Torre del Greco - as well as the Quartieri Spagnoli and Forcella in the old quarters of Naples itself.....which seem to be the heartland of the Camorra (local mafia and crime). I think certain parts between the airport and the city are also to be avoided. Perhaps you could ask his future work colleagues which areas they recommend or suggest avoiding.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

More info on Pomigliano:

http://www.elses.ils.nrw.de/pomigliano.htm

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
318 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

Hi! I leave near Pomigliano! It's a town like many others in this area...and for an American it isn't the best place to stay! But fortunately, Pomigliano isn't ugly as Secondigliano and Scampia, but much better!

Pomigliano is a quite peaceful town, there's also a fine restaurant very famous here (Il grottino), good bars, and also a wonderful green area!

However, also if home-prices are surely lower than ones in Naples city, you surely will prefer living in a vibrant city such as Naples.

Don't hesitate to ask for more question...good luck!

8. Re: Nice neighborhood to live?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 23:18