We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

I will be visiting Naples in two weeks time, I'm actually staying at Sorrento but always like to go to Naples at least once during my stay.

I am crossing to Naples by boat and wondered if there was a safe place to cross from the port over to the city ?

Last time I went I caught the City Sightseeing bus from the port and on the last tour I was dropped off at the port in time for my boat back to Sorrento, so avoided having to cross the road. But this time I won't be taking the bus tour.

My parents have recently visited Naples and they had to cross a busy four lane road to get to and from the port, it scared them very much and it took them ages to cross ... they had to try and dodge the traffic which weren't for slowing up at all - that's Naples of course !

I am wondering is there an underpass or at least an easier way of crossing this very dangerous road, my mum is returning with me and is very nervous at the thought of having to cross that road again !!

Any help appreciated.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

I don't recall anything like an underpass that would make it easier.

When in Naples (and the other busy cities of Italy), there is often little choice but to adopt the local approach to crossing the street - which is to step out assertively and expect the oncoming traffic to slow down and/or stop for you. Granted, it's intimidating at first, and certainly hard for us non-Italians to get used to. But it DOES work.

If you just stand on the side of street and wait for someone to be polite and stop for you to cross....well, you'll stand there all day. You have to be assertive and just do it. One thing that makes it easier is to try and cross with a local - they may appear to be crazy, but trust that they know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

Hi jjkdc and thanks for your reply.

I agree that if you stand and wait for cars to slow up and allow you to cross you will be standing there all day :) But the road across from the port into the city is a four lane kind of 'motorway' and really is very busy with cars flying by at high speed and so much more difficult that crossing a normal kind of street or road.

My mum isn't as quick walking as I am and so it's much more daunting for her, she has crossed it before but it was an ordeal for her.

Thanks again.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
342 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

As a frequent walker in Naples, my advice is:

1. Look for a local and cross the street as they begin to cross.

2. Walk with an Italian mama, because mama "worship" is very big here and no one would hit a mama or grandmama. Even if you must wait for a moment to find one to cross with, if you cross the street with one, you will be safe.

3. The street is 4 lanes plus a trolley lane in the middle. Get to the center if necessary but watch out for the trolley.

I avoid crossing in front of really quick-moving scooters & large buses that can flatten me, but most cars will allow you to pass if you walk confidently and at a constant rate of speed while looking them in the eye. They need to be able to predict your movements & know you will not dash out unexpectedly. They don't intend to hit you, so it's rather like a ballet dance between the cars that wish to keep moving & the pedestrians that wish to keep moving as well, if that makes sense.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
342 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

The other tip I've seen work multiple times, including last night when I was with an Italian friend, is that you can step out slightly & literally hold out your hand to the cars like a crossing guard to say STOP, while your arm is linked with your mama's arm, then walk arm & arm together across the street.

Then, get to the middle & do the same with the other hand to the opposing traffic, indicating to them that you are crossing and they need to stop. I've seen an 80 yr old Italian lady do that to cross the street at the port & the cars stopped to allow her to cross.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

Blimey. It all sounds a bit scary. We were there with a young mum last time and she just pushed the buggy and baby into the road and we followed in her wake. If we got a taxi from our Napes hotel (Palazzo Decumani) would it drop us where we needed to be for the ferry to Capri or might they still drop us somewhere where we would need to cross this big road with a couple of suitcases in tow?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

It may sound crazy but all these suggestions work. I was with my 81 year old mom and she was really afraid to cross the street. I stepped out and held my hand up STOP and said STOP and they DID! Then I calmly took my mom's arm and slowly walked across the street. No horn honking either! They do respect the mamas and WILL stop. Also looking for a local to cross with is a good idea, but with a slow moving mom, I suggest the hand stop sign.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

The taxi will drop you off right at the port so that you don't have to cross the busy road.

Ask for an approximate price BEFORE getting into a taxi in Naples if you don't want to be engaed in a shouting match with the driver at yiour destination.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

Thanks to all for your help and advice ... it's all so funny really ! :)

Guess we'll have to take a deep breath and go across with a local or try the hand stop signal ... wish us luck ! :)

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

I should tie a white handkerchief to your mother's walking stick and hold that up.... should stop the traffic !!!

Yes - it is true, no point waiting at the side of the road you'll be there all day: - you step out and keep going at a regular pace - so the drivers can gauge where you'll be to avoid hitting you ! Sticking one arm up and out at them will also help.

They won't even stop for you on a zebra crossing - because they only get fined if they actually hit you on a zebra crossing... so they do the usual and gauge where you'll be in order to miss ....etc.

You don't actually have to look at them - which you may find less intimidating (bit like horses and blinkers).

There certainly used to be under passes at Piazza Municipio - but since they started digging up everywhere for the new metro... where you go down and where you come up is anyone's guess. I never knew which one to take even before the metro dig....

Tell the taxi driver exactly where you want to be dropped at the port and explain about the road - he'll take you straight in to the ferry/boat whatever... agree the fare, and don't forget to give a decent tip...

it all helps for when he comes to collect you from the port next time - don't forget to take his name and mobile number so you can get the same taxi driver on the return !

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe road crossing from the port into Naples !

I`ve been planning our stay in Naples - but to be honest I never thought of this problem ! ! !