We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

california
Level Contributor
368 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

I'm planning to stay near the National Archaeology museum for 3 nights, a few questions:

1) I read that there are many stairs in the tunnel between Piazza Cavour and Museo metro stops. Is that right?

If so what should I expect a taxi from the central train station to the Museum (mid-day on a weekday) to cost? (so I don't have to drag my bag on that many steps)

2) Are there restaurants in that area? Groceries? Delis? Any recommendations for simple inexpensive food?

3) My planning has been focusing on how to get other places (Pompeii/Ercolano/Campi Flegrei), not how to get around Naples... where IS the center of town from there? How far? Street names/addresses that I can put into Google maps and play with would be great. Would there be a good bus to catch to/from the Museo area to nice parts of Naples for wandering/eating/seeing Neapolitan sites?

4) Is the Museo area a seriously scary one (I can handle basic city, I mean only if it's particularly dangerous at night)? I've been thinking it isn't, but just asking in case I should switch. (Just last minute second-guessing myself, checking for holes in my plans)

5) Napoli Centrale has luggage lockers and/or a left luggage office, right?

bonus) Why is Neapolitan (chocolate/vanilla/strawberry) ice cream called that?

Thanks for a few clues

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

Napoli Central at garibaldi Piazza does have a left luggage area jsut like Termini. No lockers; Anti-terrorism measures had them removed.

Before you get into an Naples Taxi, get an approximate fare. My 2 Naples taxi experiences were unpleasant. One of the I was seriously ripped off,but I caved in just to stop the shouting about "Italian English Mis-communication".

california
Level Contributor
368 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

From the price list linked by another post, I'm guessing it should be about 6 euro, but yet another post says they just do whatever they like. If I don't like what they say before I get in I can always go take the Metro instead.

If they tell you a price do they have to stick to it?

What happens if you just say no and walk away if they try to change it?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

When I was at the port a there was a group of 4 taxi drivers at the Taxi stand. I brought up the 12.5 mandated by law fare for the route from the port to the train station, and the Taxi drivers jsut stared at me and said nothing. i Increased my offer to 20 euros (after this I was going to walk away and look for the Alibus stop), and they started looking at each other. Then one of the taxi drivers motions to another, he nodds and he says yes he will transprot us to the Train staion for 20 euro.

In my previous bad taxi experience, We get into the taxi at the taxi stand at the train station. I figure that the rate is mandated by law to 12.5 euros, so I figure we are "safe". We get to the port, and get out. The taxi driver tell us 50 euros. I say "it is limited by law to 12 euros." He starts shouting abut Italian/Enghlish miscommunication and his knowledge of English becomes much less and he keeps on with shouting in Italian. I decide this is just too much for me and my daughter, and I pay (while resolving to NEVER to this again).

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

Once you come out of the tunnel in the Museo stop, there are perhaps 30-40 steps up to the street. I think I noticed an elevator there, but I'm not sure about this. But another thing you can do is simply exit out onto the street at the Cavour stop (I don't recall there being many steps involved) and walk the short distance to the Museum. The direction in which to walk won't be obvious to you, so just ask ("Doh-vay Museo?")

The Museum is in the historic center of Naples - it's basically at the northwestern corner of it. It is not a "seriously scary" area. There are lots of pedestrians out and about day or night. There are plenty of pizzerias and restaurants in the area. One very inexpensive place that often gets recommended here is "Ristorante 53" at the southern end of Piazza Dante (maybe a 15 minute walk from the Museum). I ate there once, and while I wasn't blown away it was fine.

Hope this helps.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

The name of that ice cream flavor is spamoni. Enjoy!

6. Re: Museo - taxi? food? go to center ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 05:22