We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medford
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Price for train from Rome to Naples?

I found a rate of EUR75 for 2 people from Rome to Naples...........is that a good price for first class seating?

Also, does it make much of a difference to travel in second class?

Thanks!

Eliana

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Hello,

You will want to check out the trenitalia website for rates. You can get first class seats (though not needed on this short trip) for 37.30 each with the amica fare. If you take second class seats it goes down to 28.90 each. This is for the ultra high speed train which takes an hour and a half. If you take the ES train it will cost 31.20 for first and 22.10 for second with the amica fare. This is a high speed train that will take 2 hours to get to Naples.

This is such a short trip that you should purchase 2nd class seats. It is less expensive and the seats are fine.

Donna

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

I agree, go second class. On most trains in Italy there is virtually no difference between first and second class.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

The regional train betwee Rome and Naples is cheaper (about 22 euros each) and only takes 30 min longer (2 hours). In may one of the express trains was something like 37.5 (second class) euro and took 1.5 hours.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

The Eurostar Alta Velocita train service reduces the journey time to between Roma and Napoli to 80 Minutes

Medford
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Thank you all for your kind responses!! This place is pretty incredible with such a great group of people who are willing to help others!

I'll be sure to come back here after our return from Europe and Australia, so we can also give some feedback.

We'll be going second class on the fast train! Thank you! I found the Amica fare but since I cannot purchase online from the USA, I'll get the tickets upon our arrival in Rome. Next week!!!!!

Thank you again!

Eliana

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Hi, what does the amica rate mean? Are there any conditions?

Thanks

Izzy

Medford
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Check out their website for all details, along with other offers that might suit your needs better...

http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Hi Izzy,

The amica fare is a 20% discount with the condition that it be purchased at least 24 hours in advance. There are a limited number of these seats available so buy it as soon as you get to italy to ensure you get the fare.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

I'll just add to dbabe's explanation: some trains don't have Amica fares at all. If the train doesn't have reserved seats, it won't have Amica fares. This means you can get the Amica fares on the high speed trains (which have mandatory reservations), but not the regional trains (which have no reservations, but are still cheaper even without the Amica fare).

Also, the tickets have to be bought the day before travel, but not necessarily 24 hours before, just any time before midnight the previous day. Since they often sell out, especially on the more popular routes, you should get them as soon as possible once you're in Italy.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
342 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price for train from Rome to Naples?

Second class seats on the Eurostar AV (fastest train) mean that you will be sitting in a grouping of 4 seats. First class mean you will be in a grouping of 2 seats. The seats seem to be the same size & recline slightly. The only advantages to First Class might be that perhaps First Class is quieter since there are fewer people & you receive a "free" beverage. Decide for yourself if this free beverage is worth nearly twice the price of what the 2nd class ticket costs. Both classes are nonsmoking on the train. There is a bar car on the train where beverages/snacks can be purchased at reasonable cost and often a roving cart moving throughout the train selling items as well. You can also bring your own drink or snack aboard. Regional & Intercity trains can have 6 seat groupings in second class and the cost of Rome-Naples tickets drop to 19.5 euros/one way if purchased in advance.