We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best pizza?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best pizza?

Hello all,

I am looking for the best pizza place in Naples for lunch. I heard many great things about De Michele. It was on both Rick Steeves and Samantha Brown's Almalfi coast shows. Have you heard about this place or do you have a favorite pizza place in Naples?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best pizza?

Da Michele is widely regarded to make the best traditional Neapolitan pizzas but their repertoire is limited to the 2 basic versions and there always seems to be a long queue.

I like the pizzas at Pizza e Babà at the corner of via Toledo and via Montecalvario and the restaurant also seems popular with the local Neapolitans. It has a good choice of pizza with various toppings and also a good choice of antipasto sfizi.

Their antipasto platter served on a wooden board is superb - a taste of Naples!

Buon appetito!

Mentioned in this post
Via Toledo
Via Toledo
491 Reviews
Naples, Italy
boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best pizza?

Are the two places close together? I saw that on the show they only have two kinds pizza. I will google both of them and see if they arenar each other so I can check both out. Thanks for the tip!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best pizza?

I've been to De Michele and believe me it was NOT worth the wait and then being rushed. There was a mob scene outside and they were actually giving numbers to get in! I'm sure most places make great pizza in Naples where it was invented. I would definitely try the one that previous poster suggested.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
UK
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best pizza?

Da Michele which is near the main train station and Pizza e Babà which is on the main shopping street are about a 30 minute walk apart.

Enjoy!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best pizza?

I just was on chowhound site and posted a question similiar...here is what I wrote...

Hello all,

I guess it really depends how you like your pizza. Growing up in NY I think now I take for granted for the best pizza on earth (at least so far for me). It has been what I compare all other pizza to....a little crispy on bottom, great sauce and cheese. So here is my question for Naples Pizza...

I have heard many great reviews on Da Michele. Actually watched it today (tivo) on Rick Steeves and Sam Brown show. It looked good, but kind of soft crust. I also heard about Sorbllo or Matteo. We are stopping in Naples for 2 reasons only....Pizza and to visit my grandmother's villa she grew up in Vomero. I know...not near each other at all but must do both.

Would love to hear your fav pizza place and/or advice on the three mentioned above :)

You guys are so great....many thanks to you all!!!!

Stephanie

Mentioned in this post
Naples Pizza Hostel
Naples Pizza Hostel
125 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
Vomero
Vomero
352 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best pizza?

Stephanie: I also grea up in NYC and am of Italian (Naples) descent. My Neopolitan grandmother used to make pizza. Trust me when I tell you that de Michelle is not the pizza you are looking for. I've seen other pizza in Naples and it's much better than de Michelle. People say that I was there on a "bad day"..... maybe because it was so crowded they couldn't make the pizza fast enough. Mine was raw.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best pizza?

Thanks Sushi3 for your advice from a fellow newyorker. I hate a soft, let alone raw pizza. My husband thinks I am a pizza snob!! I will check out some other places :)

Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best pizza?

I am a Jersey Girl so I know how great NYC pizzas are.........and almost always made by first generation Italians BUT you CAN NOT compare Pizza in the states to the ones made in Naples.........VERY DIFFERENT !!! I go to Naples twice a year and have never had a "bad" pizza....they are wonderful everytime & in every pizzeria(don't buy on the street, thats for tourists). There are schools in Naples that people go to to learn to make pizza !!! Just enjoy and don't compare and I am sure you will love it too !

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Naples
Naples
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best pizza?

We went to Da Michele last month and had a good pizza there. Be prepared to wait to get in, even at 2:30/3:00 in the afternoon. We never had a bad pizza in Italy, there was a place in Lucca that also made a fantastic pizza...... sigh......

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best pizza?

Ok thanks for tips. So for now, I need to choose from Di matteo and Da Michele. Really a lone line at 3:00pm? I thought it may have died down by then????

Mentioned in this post
Di Matteo
Di Matteo
6,245 Reviews
Naples, Italy