We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples concerns

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Naples concerns

I'm traveling to Italy and I'll be spending 3 days in Naples. I'm spending one day climbing Mount Vesevius, one day touring Pompeii and one day for the Nationale Archelogy Museum.

Several people have been trying me to get change these plans and not go to Naples saying that it is unsafe, sketchy, gangs. I am woman and traveling by myself.

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples concerns

Your profile doesn't show where else you've visited.

Have you travelled outside the US before?

As this is your first posting perhaps you could tell us where else you are staying and a little more about yourself.

Many media reports give the wrong impression on a city but if you are a confident female who is used to travelling solo then maybe Naples will not be a problem.

If you are unsure I suggest you stay in a good hotel and get them to organise a taxi service.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples concerns

Really Naples is not as Black as it is painted < as in any big City you have to be aware but really it is a beautiful City and good for the places you want to visit,

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples concerns

Lots of people like Naples.

I am not in the the love Naples corner, but I have visited the Naples Archeological Museum with my daughter (we got there on the Metro from Piazza gariabaldi), and nothing bad happened to us.

People either love it or hate Naples. That being said, a day trip to Naples might be OK for a woman alone, but staying there and trying to get dinner after dark is another matter (dinner isn't served until 7 pm and the restaurants close between lunch and dinner). We (2 women) were harrassed by very aggressive vendors and beggars in broad daylight at the train staion and the Beverello port. (Roman beggars and vendors by comparision are about a power of ten less annoying and scary). At the Beverello port my daughter who is a good looking young woman was repeatedly harrassed by Neopolitan men who jsut can't take no for an answer.

I am not sure that you can plan a whole day around the Museum, though. We did that (planned for a whole day)in feb 2006 and were there for 2 hours, and we are real Museum/ruins/artifact nerds. A big part of the collection was on tour and the museum was like half empty. The Frescoes from Pompeii are in a separate wing that can be only open spastically IF there are enough security personnnel. there is no way to check until you arrive. Unfortunately the day we were there not enough security so NOT open. If these guys employed the same technology that Rome and Florence use for their ZTL zones, this would not even be an issue. Subsequently, I have seen more the Pompeii fresco collection in Rome and St Paul, MN that I did see in Naples at the Archeological Museum.

We stayed in modern Pompei (Villa dei Misteri Hotel) by the Circumvesuviana station in Feb 2006 for 11 nights and never had any problems there. It is convenient for visting both the ruins and Vesuvius. the bus for Vesuvius leaves fronm near there. You can take n the Circumvesuviana into naples and then the Metro to the Museum. There are a host of hotels to chose from in Pompei, and while it is not beautiful and stuffed with restaurants and shopping like Sorrento, it is not bad. Ruins aside, Pompei-town is modern and charmless, but very convenient for short stays.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples concerns

This google map of Pompei has soem hotels on it

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Click on the marker and a dialog balloon comes up with links to reviews and htoel web sites.

Scroll down this web page

www.slowtrav.com/italy/campania/volcanoes.htm

for directions on how to get to vesuvius form Pompei.

Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples concerns

This is my first time traveling outside of the United States (well other than Canada). I am on a very tight budget so I'm staying at hostels. I'm in my mid forties and a very confident person.

I'm spending 4 days in Rome then the 3 days in Naples and I haven't decided about the remainging 3 days. I'm looking at Venice for maybe 2 days then a small town like Orevito for 1.

I would probably have other things that I would like to see in Naples and hope to add that to the day that I'm at the Museum.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples concerns

I am firmly in the Love Naples corner, so I generally encourage people to give Naples a chance. It is nowhere near as unsafe as is sometimes portrayed.

That said, if this will be your first time out of the U.S., I don't know if Naples is such a good idea as a place to base yourself. It's just not as tourist-oriented as Rome, Venice, or nearby Sorrento. I actually love the fact that it's not so tourist-oriented, but I've been to Italy 5 times (the more I go to Italy, the more I want to avoid my fellow tourists!). English is much less common, and it's a chaotic and very noisy place. Rest assured there will never be a dull moment if you stay in Naples.

Sorrento is relatively calm resort town, about an hour away by train. If you make a day trip into town to see the Archaeological Museum, you could combine it with a few hours of exploring the historic center (known as the Spaccananapoli area).

And you can get delicious pizza pretty much any time of the day - no need to wait until 8pm.

Hope this helps.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples concerns

By the way, with a name like "Trailroamer" you should know there is a LOT of wonderful trail roaming to be done on the Amalfi Coast. There is the famous Trail of the Gods between Positano and Boomerano, and scenic old paths between Ravello and Amalfi, with a series of centuries-old paper mill ruins. I believe there is great hiking that can be done right outside of Sorrento as well, but I'm not real familiar with it.

Some photos from my hikes there...

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples concerns

While Villa dei Misteri is not a hostel, it is in the "basic" hotel category. Room for a single is in the 60 euro night category (room only)

http://www.villadeimisteri.it/hotel_rates.htm

Hotels in Sorrento generally cost more. There might be some hostels there though. We stayed in Sorrento for 12 nights in feb 2007.

ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples concerns

Stayed in naples 2 nights ago passing through on the way to sorrento. never again. We are a couple in our mid forties used to travelling in many cities. We avoided the taxis outside the station and took the recommended commune de napoli taxi. Our Hotel was 5 minutes walk away but our taxi driver took us through the worst part of the city stopped and asked directions 4 times from gangs on corners. Took 20 minutes and tried to charge us €15.00. We will never visit this city again. We felt very unsafe and threatened. Unless you stay in a good hotel in a good area and request your hotel to pick you up - never get into a taxi by yourself

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples concerns

jjk, as much as you love Naples, I really admire your honest advice, ie telling the OP that it's not such a good idea since it's her first time in Italy.

Bravo!