We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples on my own...

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Naples on my own...

Please let me know your opinions to do a full day of tour I will arrive in the port of Naples...

Please mention the Most do and don´t miss in Naples, in your personal opinion.

Also how is the transportation to and from all the attractions "Inexpensive please" ex train, metro, subway, bus, etc.

Does a day tour to Capri or Pompeei worth it?

I don´t mind to walk.

Thank You All.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples on my own...

A trip out to Capri or Pompeii would almost certainly be worth it, depending on your interest. As would spend the day in Naples. The three possibilities would offer an experience entirely unlike one another. Unfortunately, it would be tough to see more than one in a single day.

This recent thread in response to a similar question might give you an idea of a day in Naples.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3069…

Getting to Capri and Pompeii are both very easy. You can catch a boat to Capri a short distance from where your ship will dock. To get to Pompeii, you'd just have to get to the main train station and board the Circumvesuviana train out to the Pompeii Scavi station. These trains run every 20-30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples on my own...

Do you know how much cost the train to Pompeii and also how much cost the boat to capri?

Thanks. :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples on my own...

To get to the train to Pompeii you need to get to the train station. Are you coming from the Beverllo port?

here is map of the port and train station area

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

To get to the train station from the port you can take the Alibus (3 euro) from either the volcano marker or the question mark near Castel Nuovo to the train station at Piazza Garibaldi. or you can take a taxi. train to Pompeii is 2.78 europ on the Circumvesuviana.

Hydrofoil from Naples Beverello port to Capri is 17 euros, I think. Visiting Capri is like visiting Narnia only with credit cards, so yes it's worth it.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples on my own...

Here's a google map that has sights and some restaurants on it.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

if you go to Capri, you should allow a whole day for it. There are number of great hikes from Capri town. To Villa Jovis, to the Natural Arch, to San Giacomo Certosa/gardens of Augustus/Belvedere to the Faraglione.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,226 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples on my own...

I believe there is a hop on off Bus in Naples which could be a good option,

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples on my own...

Very very useful information, I am taking notes...

Thank you very much. :)

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples on my own...

I don´t know in what port I will arrive I will arrive on the Voyager RCCL...

Also I need a recommendation for a most go restaurant to have a good Neapolitan pizza.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples on my own...

If you are arriving on a cruise liner, I suspect you will arrive at the big port right by the Maschio Angioino- the big castle right in the centre of the city - and the Molo Beverello where the ferries to the islands go is right nearby. However, as Naples is one of the few cities where the port arrival for the liners is right in the centre of the city (no ugly docks nearby !) ....I would opt for visiting Naples itself. There are lots of other 'questions' on this site re Naples visits - so using the 'search ' facility on this page will get you lots of information. But you could even just walk around this area, you'll be right in the centre of the city, gardens and fountains,plenty of 'monuments' to visit and shops... the famous and chic Via Roma, Via Chiaia, Toledo - are all round here, and so is the Galleria (even better, perhaps, than the Galleria in Milan or Turin) and right by the Opera House San Carlo...and the big church opposite the Royal Palace...all at your feet as you leave the port ! Catch the on/off open topped bus tour to orient yourself first...then choose where to visit.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples on my own...

Thanks Nolana very useful info...

What about a good place for a traditional napolitan pizza?

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples on my own...

There are many places in Naples to get great traditional pizza. Here are are a couple that are especially well regarded. There first one is by the main train station, the second is in the heart of the historic center.

Ristorante Pizzeria Da Donato:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187785-d1…

Sorbillo:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187785-d1…