We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

I know a couple of reviewers have just come back from Naples and said how much they enjoyed it, but I thought I had to write my own comments in support of this much criticised city.

I was very weary of Naples from having read this forum for quite a few months before my trip, and as the holiday approached I was almost regretting not staying in Sorrento for the whole trip - but how wrong could I (and others) be!

Naples is a fantastic city - Yes, it's seen much better days; Yes I could see there may be problems around the station, but the positives FAR outweigh these.

The museum, palace, the various castles, the sea-front, Vomero hill are all worth visting and we felt we could have stayed twice as long as our 4 nights and still not seen everything Naples had to offer.

Eveyrone we encountered were friendly (apart from one inspector who insisted we couldn't use our Alibus ticket on the Metro even though his mate was telling him we could!)

The restuarants weren't high class, not that we wanted this, but they were cheap and the food was great. I ate just as well here (for half the price) as in Sorrento.

We stayed at the Hotel Piazza Bellini and the area, though lively, was as safe as any Italian city we've been too (and that's quite a few now). We took the usual precautions of not having anything on display and watching were we walked at night, but we never encountered any situation were we were concerned.

If you've got this far and you're still interested in visting Naples, PLEASE don't let everyone's negative views stop you from adding this great city to your Amalfi itinery...as I said in the title, I think everyone who visits any other Amalfi forum should be forced to read these positive reviews!!

One final point - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DRIVING - this is one thing people did get right - you don't have to me mad, you have to be immortal...

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Piazza Bellini
Hotel Piazza Bellini
2,273 Reviews
Naples, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,694 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

And very nice too, it is good to see of late a lot more people singing the praises of this lovely City,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,758 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

Ditto I agree - and thanks for sharing your experience.

EM.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

I feel that you post is kinda mis-labeled. It's irrevelant what Naples is really like if you are a visitor to Sorrento or Amalfi. For those visitors, Naples is just a transport hub on the way to someplace else.

The decision to actually stay in Naples and vacation there is a whole different matter. Whether it is a good idea depends on a person's expectations and goals for their vacation. People who want to vacation on the Amalfi coast and in Sorrento have a whole different set of expectations than people who might enjoy Naples as a vacation choice. Your post is really a defence of Naples as a vacation choice based on your own experience.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You get the gold star for the day, Chagra.

One week from today I board a plane for my third visit to Naples, and these praises for the city that stole my heart two years ago are really getting my excited. Not that I needed any help with that...

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

I too thought, at first, that the post was mislabeled. But I I get it now...

It's true that plenty of tourists just want to vacation in Sorrento or on the Amalfi Coast, because they want that kind of environment. There's plenty to be said for that.

But it's also true that people who might otherwise be interested in Naples are sometimes steered away from it. I don't know how many times in the last couple of years someone has posted a question here in the Naples forum about a trip they are planning to the region, and someone (with NO knowledge whatsoever of that person's tastes and interests) posts a response along the lines of: "You should avoid Naples, stay in Sorrento instead."

So I totally understand where Chagra is coming from....

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Naples
Naples
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

"as I said in the title, I think everyone who visits any other Amalfi forum should be forced to read these positive reviews!!"

Nobody should not be forced to read anything. People visiting the the other Bay of Naples locations or the Amalfi coast cities jsut have a different vision of what their vacation should be. These Italian vacations cost a lot of money, and in order to avoid feeling like you have wasted your money, it's important to examine what you vacation goals are, and make choices that fulfill them.

The people who had negative experiences inn Naples really had them, and their experiences shouldn't be jsut discounted or ignored. Naples is a 50/50 kind of place. people either love Naples or hate it with not much in-between. People should go into these vacation choices informed. 50/50 is actually a low percntage for most vacation spots; I actually recommend that people visit Naples on a day trip of some kind if they want to consider an extended stay (ie more than 3 days) to make sure that they might not be disappointed in their choice.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

"One week from today I board a plane for my third visit to Naples, and these praises for the city that stole my heart two years ago are really getting my excited. "

this is great. I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

Anticipation is important element in my visits to Italy also.

Rome has stolen my heart, but my best traveling companion is graduating fron college and I don't know now when I will be visiting Rome again.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

Sorry, Lupaling, I understand your past history with Naples and your feelings.... but I do think this is an ok post on this thread !

People who visit Sorrento and Amalfi always want to know 'where to go' from where they are staying - they know about the beautiful Amalfi coast, but want to visit other places from there too. Naples is so easy to get to from Sorrento - a quick ferry/aliscafo/train ride ..... and for those who are nervous of big cities a day trip would be ideal. A taster is all they need to get them hooked to visit again, if that is what they are after..... museums, historic buildings, fountains, interesting street scenes in the 'old part', monuments....a lively city.... with a beautiful bay. I've lived there for short bursts in the past, and visited 'as a tourist', and have come to understand that both its 'everyday' inhabitants and the tourists have had a love-hate relationship with this city, as they can see its virtues and vices, but still love and appreciate it despite all that - and that is what 'true love' means - applied to anything or anyone, loving while accepting faults..

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

oh dear ! I spent so long composing my post that several other postings have got in first, including a couple more from Lupaling - and yes.... Lupaling - you are right, expectations are important, and a 'taster' is a good idea if you're not sure what you are going to get from a trip to Naples !

So, I still stick by my posting, and hope everyone will have a 'taste' of Naples to see if they want to visit again....

And Lupaling - I'm sorry you feel your best mate won't be available to travel with you to Rome again - surely if she likes Rome as much as you do - you will be able to make arrangements to meet there if not actually fly there together ?

But take heart..... why not introduce another friend to that beautiful city you love ? As you love Rome so much, you would be a wonderful guide to a new visitor - and will be able to prepare your visitor beforehand too.

Not an option many tour guides have !

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples - What every visitor to Sorrento/Amalfi should read

lupaling, I don't think it's mis-labelled. What I was trying to convey is that many people will vists this part of italy witout a second thought about going to Naples as they have pre-conceptions which may (or may not) be correct. I bet a lot of those that do think about it are quickly put off within moments of reading the majority of posts on this site criticising Naples, whilst ignoring the people who post positive reviews. I made the 'forced to read' comment on this basis, and apologise if it was taken the wrong way.

You are right in that some people have bad experiences, but this could happen anywhere (including Sorrento etc). I think you are no more likely to have an issue in Naples than say Rome, but I don't see the Rome forum littered with as many negative comments as Naples receives. My review was just trying to redress the balance, if only a little.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I was just expressing my own - as you and many others have expressed before, and long may this continue.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy