We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

We will be in port of Naples in September. We will have one full day and are trying to decide between catching the ferry to Capri or a ferry to Sorrento / Positano.

I am aware that you can get a ferry to Sorrento but is it easy to also get a ferry to Positano?

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children ages 13 and 9. We did think about Pompeii or Herculaneum but we don't have time to do everything so have narrowed it down to Amalfi or Capri.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Use the search bar above. There are numerous posts for the ferry schedules. In Sept did the ferry from Sorrento to Positano, it was a 1.5 hrs? You then have 4 hours in Positano before the return trip.

If it were me (I'm a mom) with a 13 & 9 yr old, I would do the Pompeii or Herculaneum. Personally I liked Herculaneum as it is more 'intact' than Pompeii, which is vast. Herculaneum is smaller, and the bus to Vesuvius is at the train platform, so you could do both in a day. The 'hike' up the volcano had some awesome sights of Naples and the Bay.

Also, if I had taken my 2 boys (at that age) to Amalfi or Capri, they would not have appreciated the scenic beauty, as I would.

Edited: 28 January 2010, 23:19
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Capri is closer than Positano. It is only a one hour journey to Capri from the Naples Beverello port.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

I would never consider the 'Isle of Debris' if the choice was any of the others mentioned (Capri is for the tourist trail)....

i guess the tolerance of kids at some sites is the consideration

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Capri is lyrically beautiful.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

If you stay away fron shopping near the Piazzetta there are lots of things to see and do that you are away fron the tourist crowds. Google map list jsut some of the choices

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

There are boat tours of the Island,

the chaiirlift to to Mt Solano in Anacapri

or you can hike to Villa Jovis Roman ruins

views on the way there are spectacular

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. Thinking about going to Herculaneum and then perhaps somewhere on the Amalfi Coast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Thank you also Lupaling for all your lovely photos. Still haven't ruled out Capri.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

I know you can catch the local train from Naples to Pompeii, does it also go to Herculaneum?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

Yes that same local train (Circumvesuviana) stops at the stop for Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi). It is 7 stops from the Naples central station to Ercolano Scavi and 20 stops to Pompei Scavi. In other words the Hercualneum is closer to Naples than Pompeii is

Edited: 01 February 2010, 14:54
9. Re: In port 1 day - Isle of Capri or Amalfi coast??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 05:18