We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn between Pompei and Capri

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Torn between Pompei and Capri

Since my family and I will be in Naples during a cruise in late April, and we would like to do a tour on our own because the ship excursions can be expensive for four persons and we already have tours booked for Ephesus, Turkey and two stops in Egypt.

Reading all the posts, I know a one day stop in Naples is not enough to do both Pompei and Capri, but I am swaying towards Capri because I think my two daughters in the early 20's may enjoy relaxing walking in Capri, rather than touring Pompei. My other concern is if we did Pompei by train, taxis ripping us off with a fare from the port to the train station and not finding the correct track and train and heading in the wrong direction? If we did do Pompei, we would like to go then to Sorrento to catch the hydrofoil back to Naples. Again, we are nervous of getting on the wrong train and going in the wrong direction.

Would it be easier to just take the hydrofoil from the port of Naples to Capri or should I also be concerned that we may get stuck because the hydrofoils won't run because of bad weather.

Should be just take a ship excursion to Pompei so we know the ship won't leave without us.

Thanks for all the input.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

Dear Jingles 13,

If I had my druthers I'd pick Pompei over Capri any day of the week.

In the late 90's and early 00's when my husband was working in Rome, I took the train down to Naples, switched to the Pompei train, and had a wonderful time. I loved it!

First of all I'd recommend you read some history -- there are several eyewitness accounts of the explosion that have come down to us through the ages.

The place itself is outstanding, the place where time stopped. I was so impressed and moved. Unfortunately, the Italian government has moved most of the best artifacts to its museum in Naples. I did not have the time or the inclination to go there, so I skipped it. And don't be surprised at some of the murals on the walls. They are raunchy beyond belief. Just be warned!

It's not something I'd want a 10 year old to see, but your girls are grown-ups, so they can deal with it.

Now as to getting ripped off by the taxi driver who takes you to the train station, I haven't got a clue. Maybe the Purser on board your ship can help with a guesstimation of what it should cost.

Oh, it's a short trip by taxi from the train station to the ruins. I picked a driver and we made a deal -- he would take me to the ruins and pick me up to take me back to the train. I haven't got a clue as to what it cost (they were still on the LIRA then, and hadn't switched over to the EURO), but it was reasonable and he was a good driver, too. Lovely man.

Be brave, have fun and collect the memories.

Kathie in Mexico

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

You might wait and base your decision on meteo conditions. If it's a beautiful sunny day with the sea like a table top, come to Capri. If the weather is lousy, go to Pompei. Regarding Pompei, the Naples taxis have a flat fare to Pompei plus a two hour wait and return. If I recall correctly the fixed fare was €90 but this may have changed. You could also arrange for a private transfer service whereby the driver would wait and meet you at a specific time.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

I too would just wait until the day arrives and decide based on the weather and what you're in the mood for.

If you decide to go to Pompeii, you really don't need to worry about getting on the wrong train, going in the wrong direction, etc. Once entering the station, just look for the Circumvesuviana (local commuter train). The platform for trains headed to Sorrento are well signed, and hundreds of tourists take it every day. For the Pompeii site, you'll want to get off the train at the Pompeii Scavi stop.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

Thanks so much for the input. I guess it would be a good idea to wait till we get there to decide what to do. I.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

Hi,

I just read in another thread that National Museums Week 2010 is April 16 - April 25, 2010.

It's called Settimana della Cultura and includes all state-owned museums and archeological sites, including Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Since we will be in Naples (from our cruise stop) only on Sunday, 4/25, if we decide to go to Pompei and it will be free that day, what can we expect when we get to the site. Will it be overly crowed with both locals and tourists especially because it is a Sunday? How to allow you to enter if it is free? Since time is limited with travel back and forth from Naples for a one day cruise stop, would it be better for us now to go to Capri?

Also, does anyone told what is free is Rome as we are arriving in Rome on 4/23 and leave for our cruise on 4/24.

Thanks,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

We were there on a free day and it really wasn`t particularly crowded. It`s a huge site.

It had taken us most of the week to find out why we never had to pay entry fees. Very pleasant surprise. Same will apply to Rome. Except for the Vatican which is separate all the historical sites and museums are free. Think we were just handed a ticket as the ticket box was still working

Edited: 20 February 2010, 03:58
7. Re: Torn between Pompei and Capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:16