We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples for a weekend

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Naples for a weekend

Hi busy planning a weeekend in naples fri to mon. We think we would like to do Pomperi , vesuvius herraculum. Can we fit in Capri also. Or can anyone advise on a better itenary. cheers

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples for a weekend

We really can't suggest other things to see without having an idea of your interests.

But for what it's worth, my favorite thing to do in Naples is to wander aimlessly through the streets, alleys, nooks, and crannies of the historic center. I do hope you'll leave time for that.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples for a weekend

If you go to Capri, try to stay overnight, rather than the 3 hr tour, whole different experience. Pompeii also wins over Herculeum. If possible hire a guide for your group, rather than taking tour--The Marshalls

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples for a weekend

It probably depends too on how just much of the Friday and Monday you'll have, since it's likely that those three main destinations will take up most of two days!

Not sure I'd agree with Herculaneum "winning" over Pompeii - while not such a spectacle perhaps, it's much easier to come to terms with as having been a lived-in city and home to real people, whereas much of Pompeii's just piled up rubble!

For a few more ideas etc, you might like to take a look at this quite similar thread that's also running:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3408…

And, just to add to the mix, you'll find some pictures from both Naples, and other nearby places, here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples for a weekend

Duuh... rather late now but, for....

" Not sure I'd agree with Herculaneum "winning" over Pompeii... "

please read what it should have said...

Not sure I'd agree with Pompeii "winning" over Herculaneum...

Peter

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples for a weekend

Hi pompei will have to wauit as I am recoevring from foot surgery and its sound like herculaneum is smaller . would you recommed capri, ischia or procida, or can you do all 3 on one trip? we have all day fri , sat and sunday. Also is it hard work getting to the tiop of vesuvius? thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples for a weekend

There's no easy way to see all three islands - they're in different directions: Ischia and Procida to the west of Naples and Capri to the south, and you'd almost certainly have to return to Naples and start again.

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Capri's by far the most famous, and I'm sure it's the most visited - quite understandably 'how could you come all this way and not...?'

Pretty little Procida would be my own suggestion, for its utter contrast with Naples, but then of course there's Ischia - difficult, isn't it!

Perhaps someone less partial has a view?

Picked at random - and not my work - this may give you an idea of what the walk up Vesuvius is like...

youtube.com/watch…

They say..... "Our bus took us to a height of 1,000 metres. We climbed the last 270 metres by walking the steep incline shingle path 850 metres long in blistering heat. Hard work ... but worth it."

You'll also find some very jolly videos of Ischia there!

Peter

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples for a weekend

Thanks again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples for a weekend

An article in our paper on Thursday reminded me of this thread...

It described the new easy-access route round the Pompei site, of which the original Press Release had said.....

"The excavations have now been made accessible to everyone. A two-hour itinerary has been created for visitors with reduced mobility, and for families with small children. Everyone can walk amongst the ancient apartments (insulae) of Pompeii and experience the archaeological heritage in an easy and practical way. The entrance is situated at the Amphitheatre Square."

That's now open and in use, although - according to our paper - it takes three hours to complete!

Either way, more in item 5, here...

www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp…

The scheme is being called "Friendly Pompei" - as yet it hasn't received a great amount of coverage in English but I found this, from last month...

…blogspot.com/2010/05/friendly-pompei-scavi-…

Peter

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples for a weekend

thank you.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples for a weekend

If you want to actually see the treasures excavated from Pompeii, make sure to go to the Archeological Museum in Naples. We hired a private guide, Pina Esposito. The 120 euros for two hours was worth every penny.