We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

After reading the previous topic I do not feel any better.

Can anyone advise -- Apparently I will be with my suitcase and possibly a handbag at the date of arrival -- then at least with my camera all the time as that's one of my way to share the happiness with other frds who are not able to go with me.

At least I need small amount of cash to buy some entrance ticket as well as some drink if my bottle run out?

Then where to put the wallet? hm... sounds like not easy for a girl and I already decided do not wear a watch or try to look for the cheapest one.

However heard that people rob suitcases too esp. at central station... anyway to avoid that?

Thanks!!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

Thousands of people pass through Naples Central Station every day with no problem. You should be cautious, as you would be in London, or any other large city, but there's no reason for panic.

It's a good idea not to stand out in any way as being an attractive target. Having a suitcase is not a problem; probably half the people arriving in the station have suitcases, but having a Louis Vuitton suitcase might make you a tempting target. There's no need to buy a new cheap watch, but do leave your Rolex at home.

Bring a purse that you can wear over your shoulder, crisscrossing your chest. Make sure it has a secure closing, such as a zipper, and wear it in front of you, with the zipper opening towards the front. Some people feel safer keeping a stash of cash, credit card, and ID in a pouch or money belt under their clothing, but I really never bother with this.

Walk with confidence, even if you're not sure where you're going. If you need to consult a map, stop at a bar and consult the map away from the passing crowd. Don't leave any of your possessions on an empty chair or hanging from the back of the seat, especially if you're sitting near the passersby. If you need to stop to buy something while pulling your suitcase, keep it right in front of you while you're paying.

I'm sure you'll have no problem.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

We have traveled through Naples (train station and Beverello port). While it is not pleasant, we have not been hurt or robbed. The longest we have been there was the half day we went to the Archeological Musuem. We mostly leave as soon as we can after our initial trips.

You cannot let your luggage out of your sight or personal zone. do not let anyone "help" you with your luggage.

I carry almost my money and credit cards in a money belt under my clothes.

My wallet (not more that 5 euros inside) is attached to the inside of my purse via a lead.

My purse is a Bagolini banrd that closes everythign up with zippers.

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

thank you so much for both comments. Any idea will they have interest in mobiles and cameras? Heard that better use mobiles less thank 30. Euros?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

Take a cheap mobile phone - not a state of the art one ! but everyone in Naples has a mobile phone - just don't flash it around and don't leave your camera or phone on the cafe table - put it away when you've used it.

I keep my mobilephone and my camera attached to my wrist by the leather / fabric strap when in use.

Neapolitan women keep their cash in bank notes in a little fabric pouch attached to their bra straps, and the pouch then goes into the bra cup !

Any robber would have to have an intimate wrestle with the woman to get their hands on that !

Most thieves are simply opportunistic and rely on the victim to be careless or not pay attention - be sensible, and you'll be all right.

Have a good holiday and don't let these fears stop you enjoying it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

Sologirl, you're not going to scrutinized by a gallery of thieves when you arrive. A tourist in London is subject to the same risks as a tourist in Naples. Keep your caution in perspective!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

I'm a woman in my early 50s who passes through Naples alone on the way to Ischia each year. I tend to arrive in Naples in the evening, often after dark, by train from Rome, but I have never ever had any trouble at the railway station. Yes, there are some pretty unsavoury characters around, and you wouldn't want to linger around the station or Piazza Garibaldi any longer than you have to, but I do think you are worrying unnecessarily. I have occasionally stayed in some of the less awful hotels in this area and I have usually walked rather than taken a taxi- you just need to keep alert and walk briskly and purposefully.

Apart from some of the suggestions already posted, you could consider taking a decoy wallet containing a few small denomination coins and a couple of plastic cards (store loyalty cards or a library ticket etc) and keeping this in your (shabby) handbag, but keep the majority of your valuables secreted about your person. That way, if you are the victim of petty crime, the wallet will be the obvious thing they go for.

When I travel in and around Naples i don't usually take a camera. However, I do take a decent mobile phone, which I use to take photos as well. This is far less conspicuous than a camera and is much lighter to carry around. Again, I have never had to deal with any tricky situations.

You will no doubt have already gathered that I'm one of those people who refuse to believe the bad publicity about Naples. It's filthy, a traffic nightmare and probably a haven for criminals of every description, but it is also vibrant, full of the warmest most charming people you could ever wish to meet and has the most idyllic setting you could possibly imagine. If you accept the place for what it is and take sensible precautions, I guarantee you will have the most amazing time ever and that you will come back time and time again. Have a great trip!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

Any train station in the world that I'm familiar with is a bit seedy in the middle of the night. I don't think Naples is unusual in this respect.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

not to exaggerate the danger of Naples, avoid isolated places and not wear jewelry and wearing Rolex,

okay what he says bvlenci

Edited: 07 April 2010, 14:15
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

Once the warm weather starts, I usually put my watch away and rely on the clock in my mobile (a highly undesirable basic Nokia) - in much the same way that we no longer bother packing a travel alarm these days.

Fewer things to change the time on, buy batteries for, lose or have go wrong!

Peter

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to avoid the crime in Naples for a solo traveller?

great insights! So many thanks!!