We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

Can someone please tell me EXACTLY how to take the train or bus from the port to pompeii in detail such as how to purchase the ticket and where to get off and on to get back to the port. I understand I need to take a taxi to the terminal but it goes downhill when I get to there. I tried to look up a timetable but don't know Italian at all and can't understand it. I also need to know what bus to take such as the name or number of the bus. HELP

Thunder Bay Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

I will take the train also if its easier!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

Take a taxi from the port to Porta Nolana station, which is the terminus for the Circumvesuviana train. Buy tickets to and from Pompei Scavi station. Look for the signs to take a train that is going to Sorrento. Get off at Pompei Scavi station, which is about 100 yards from the entrance to the excavations.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

There is a bus at least in season to Pompeii is the Blue bus marker on map. Beverello port is the blue ship shown fron the front

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Varco Immacolatella

only estimated placement. The big blue buses look parked here in the satellite view

probably handier alternative from the Cruise terminal than the Circumvesuviana- is to take one of the SITA buses that leave for the Pompei site from the Varco Immacolatella.

The current timetable - which shows a journey time of just 30 minutes - can be found here:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROVIII_BIS_2010.pdf

La Rondine S.R.L.

Piazzale Immacolatella Nuova,

Thunder Bay Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

thank you both!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

If it's not now too late....

Living here, and having done similar journeys for the last decade, I'd recommend not taking the "taxi to the station" option. Thanks to the long taxi queues at the port, and then the traffic, you may well be asked for €15 each way, despite the trip being only a kilometer or two. And I find difficult to understand how anyone who'd been there could direct you to the Porta Nolana station - which sits at the very top of my own "Best Avoided" list!

Instead the year-round SITA buses from the Varco Immacolatella - within the confines of the port, and only a short walk from where the cruiseships and hydrofoils dock - provide by far the simplest and most hassle-free way of doing the trip to the Pompeii site that we've yet found.

For a fuller explanation of what's involved, and a few recent developments, may I direct you to my various posts in this earlier thread...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3488…

Have a read, and by all means do shout if any of that's not clear by the time you've finished!

Peter

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

We have just returned from a cruise, with a stop at Naples. We docked in the Old Port, from there it was so easy.

Head right, when you leave the dock, walk along the road, for about 5 minutes, you come to the end of the Port where there is a little cubicle, with an official in it. At that point you need to cross the main, very busy road and head up the road directly opposite for about 5 minutes and the train station is on the right, next to the bus stops, I think it is called Naples Port.

It was much easier and quicker to find than I had been advised, I think some directions take you to the bigger station, which is the one after the port. The return train fare, for 3 of us, cost 14euros, the admission in to Pompeii was 10 euros for each adult with a discount for the teenager. We then paid 10euros each to join a tour guide, who was excellent and only took 10 people at a time, unlike some tours, we passed , who appeared to have hundreds with them. The cruise tours started from 69 dollars each, to do the same tour, so it is worth doing it yourself, and it is so hassle free

Incidentally avoid the bar, in the Port, called Bar Italia, unfortunately it appeared to be the only one in that very rundown area. They tried, unsuccessfully to rip us off, and then did the same to the following two sets of customers. I think they may think you are a soft touch, as you are on a cruise ship, forgetting that most of us work and save hard to enjoy the experience and are far from naive.

Have a great time at Pompeii, it is so interesting.

Thunder Bay Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

Thank so much for the details I appreciate it! Have you any tips for Rome or Florence those are my 2 next big tasks!!! And also when I ask at the cafe for tickets I say 2 return trip tickets to pompei and they will know what to give me? I validate on the bus right? sorry for all the questions but many many thanks you have alleviated my fears greatl!

Thunder Bay Ontario...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

Your info is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the details they are EXACTLY what I was looking for I don't mind taking the SITA at all I just want the easiest way from point a to b without getting lost! Can I go all the way to sorrento if I ask for a round trip to pompei or is that a different bus? Thanks so very much

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

We just asked at the ticket window, at the train station, for return tickets for Pompeii. We looked for the advised yellow box, on the train, but couldn't find it. On the return journey we inserted the ticket in the box, at the train station.

We never visited Rome, this time, it;s a long story, and I hate thinking about missing Rome.

Florence was the only trip we booked with the ship. Having a 13 year old with us, there is a limit to how much culture he will take. How I long for his younger days when we could take him anywhere for any length of time, still I am sure, once we get through the teenage brat yours, our real son will return....hopefully. We opted for Panoramic Florence, which included the usual stop at a leather factory. However the stop wasn't too bad, as it was only for about 30 minutes, where you were given a bottle of water and you could use the loo's.

It was our visit to Florence and it was amazing, although our visit was quite short, it did give us a taste of the city and we will definetely return.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: totally confused on how to get to Pompeii from the port

>>> Your info is greatly appreciated!

Jocelyn, my pleasure!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

>>> Thanks for the details they are EXACTLY what I was looking for I don't mind taking the SITA at all I just want the easiest way from point a to b without getting lost!

That's exactly why I recommend this route to Pompei - little chance of it not working, and pretty much hassle-free.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

>>>Can I go all the way to sorrento if I ask for a round trip to pompei or is that a different bus?

No, they're other way round - but Sorrento introduces a point c !!!!!!

The coastline (and one of the Circumvesuviana train lines) run from Naples, past Mount Vesuvius and the Pompei site, and continue on Sorrento - where that line ends....

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/124987094/original

The full run of stations can be seen here.... "Garibaldi" is their stop, underneath the main "Napoli Centrale" railway station...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128288647

There's not a bus from the port in Naples to Sorrento, nor - as far as I know - is there one to there from Pompei's site either.

To get to Sorrento after seeing Pompei, catch the CV train from the station that's very near the main site entrance at Pompei... marked in orange with the words "Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri" on this map..

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

For the return to Naples, take the same bus if going back from Pompei. If starting from Sorrento though, changing back off the train and onto the bus in Pompei wouldn't be very convenient...

It would be simplest to take the CV train all the way to the last stop at the Naples end of that line - Porta Nolana - from where you'd turn left out of the station, and walk back down Corso Garibaldi. At its end, turn right and continue to the port... though I think I've already noted my view of that area? At least you'll have done most of the walk on the way out.

If pooped and unwilling to do that, probably best to get off a stop earlier ('Garibaldi' on the long station diagram), come up to ground level and get a taxi the rest of the way.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Tickets...

While they've valid, UnicoCampania tickets can be used on a whole variety of local transport, including the SITA bus to/from Pompei and the Circumvesuviana trains.

Which you need will depend on exactly what were you intending to do, and when.

If it was to go to Pompei first, then continue on to Sorrento, and return back to Naples the same day, take a look at Post #13 in that old thread, where I've tried to explains the weekday and Sunday way to do so.....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3488…

If that's NOT the plan, give us another shout!

Peter

PS: The validation "boxes" - machines - are on the buses, but attached to walls or pillars at railway stations. They range from yellow to orange.

Edited: 10 September 2010, 09:43