We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam on train?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scam on train?

We just returned from Sorrento via train through Naples and Rome. When boarding the train in Naples, we were 'greeted' by a man on the train who claimed to work for the train company.............and he insisted on helping us with our luggage even though I kept telling him 'no'. He pulled my luggage from me and then hoisted my luggage and my husband's luggage onto the overhead rack. Then, he told us we owed him $$$$ for doing this..............1 Euro for each piece. We refused to pay the full amount and he went away. We think this was a scam. By the way, when we boarded the train at Rome Termini to Rome airport, there was a very friendly girl hanging out the train door signaling to us to board that car and she would 'help' us with our luggage.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this a scam?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Scam on train?

Hear hear, jjkdc, agree when you say Naples is not Baghdad! Neither is Johannesburg, Peter (A Brit In Ischia).

I read through the link posted by Peter from Joburg Tourism. I could not find anything different to what one is advised anywhere else in the World, other than maybe keeping car windows closed, which no-one does anyway....we do not walk or drive around dodging bullets.............and we all survived the World Cup.

Yes, I was pickpocketed on Rome Station, but it was my own fault - I was not alert although I had been warned by so many people, the majority being Italians.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Scam on train?

Only Baghdad is Baghdad!

But if you have an issue with the accuracy or relevance of what's been put on line by your city's Tourism people - by far the most exhaustive such list of precautions from their own home city that I've yet referred a vistor back to - you probably should address your remarks to them?

My point though was that visitors all too often expect to be able to use much less care "here" than they would at home - and then blame everyone but themselves for failing to exercise adequate caution..... even though you yourself may not feel that way!

Peter

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Scam on train?

You completely missed my points...........but that's fine..........

14. Re: Scam on train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 05:26