We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Not sure that I've put this all together here on TA before, but it may be useful if you'll be travelling down by rail from Rome etc...

Since the completion of its extensive makeover, changing trains at the main station in Naples - Napoli Centrale - is now simpler than ever; essentially, all you need do is look for signs saying "Circumvesuviana" and follow them...

You'll first go down the new main escalator...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/123069561

... then along an underground passage...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128343808

... and eventually you'll arrive at the barriers...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/125760466

Once there, turn around and you'll see the new ticket office.

For "Pompei - Scavi" take the Sorrento train; the "BIN" column on the displays will shows which platform (binario) you'll need - number 3 in this example...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/130148215

Hordes of people are likely to be making the same journey, but having a route map may still help: this one has all of the CV's lines...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/124987094

... and this shows just the stops between Naples and Sorrento...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128288647

We came through the station today and saw them working on a new lift, near the main entrance. It looks to only go down one floor, and perhaps won't allow wheelchair access to the Circumvesuviana platforms, for which the line's terminus (one stop away at their Porta Nolana station) is probably still a better choice.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Trust that will make things a little easier,

Peter

New York
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Excellent tips. I might add.....to find the main escalator that willl take you down from the central train station to the circumvesuvia, also follow signs for the Metropolitana (M) or their metro, which is also in the downstairs level. Once you take the escalator down, turn right if you need to use the public (1 euro I think) bathroom, or turn left if you want to head to the Circumvesuvia.

Assuming you've turned left to head to the Circumvesuvia, you will then see on your right glass walls that lead down to the virtually unmarked Metropolitana. Continue walking and you will pass through a corridor with shops on either side. At the end on the left is a cafe. Then as mentioned in the original post, the ticket office and turnstyle entrance for the Circumvesuvia is just after that....

Edited: 16 November 2010, 01:16
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Great job Peter. I've linked this topic on to 2 of the Sorrento Top Questions - the airport one and the travelling from Rome.

Ellie

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Thanks Ellie - though I'm not sure the intervening post will do much for those making either of the journeys mentioned in the thread's title!

Peter

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
224 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Thank you so much for posting this. The pictures are very helpful, too. We're headed there in January, can't wait.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Excellent Peter, your directions and photos are spot on.

Can you perhaps, stick it on the frequently asked questions on the Naples forum too?

Thanks for all your help, I have been back from Italy just over a week, when work settles down, I'll write a trip report. Jen

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Frequency of trains between Rome and Naples....

Some are apparently not aware of just how often these services run, so here's a copy the list from our local newspaper. While no substitute for checking Trenitalia's website for your date of travel, it will give you some idea.....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/130412535

For a larger version, click on "Original" under the image!

Peter

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

The next big improvement would be the introduction of the new Circumvesuviana trains on the Naples to Sorrento route. But I am not holding my breath!

Saw in a newspaper article that the tourist authorities have complained that, despite grant aid from the tourism budget for the replacement trains, they were not yet run on the popular tourist routes.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Thank you! We have been trying to decide between car and train for our visit next week from Rome. This helps so much!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

My pleasure! Maybe you'll let us know how you get on?

And, for aussiesolotraveller Jen: now I've found out how to, I've done so!

Peter

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: By train thru' Naples to Sorrento or Pompei...painlessly!

Peter, you rock!!