We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Naples

New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Naples

Hi. Planning a trip to Italy in May. First Rome for 4 nights then to Capri for 2 nights. From Capri to Naples for 2 nights. What is a must-see in naples? What hotels would you recommend? How easily can I travle to Pompei from Naples? Can I pre-reserve a Pompei tour? Then, I want to go from Naples to Venice- how far is it via train? Are thre cheap flights?

Thank you!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Naples

You can get on the Circumvesuviana downstairs in Napoli Centrale and take it to Pompeii Scavi. Exit the station, turn right, and walk about 40 yards to the entrance. You don't really need a tour, just a good guidebook and the map they give you at the entrance. If you'd like you could join a tour near the entrance, there are always guides looking for customers there.

Naples to Venice is about a 7 hour trip. You could do an overnighter.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Naples

Hi Connie-Lucky lucky you! I'm jealous of your trip.Must see in Naples is the the people,the atmosphere and just the sheer energy of the place.You can do that just by walking around.However for your photo album head for the bay and the harbour area at Santa Lucia.There's a beautiful backdrop of Vesuvious visible from the Hotel Royal-Continental and a bay view in this well appointed but relatively inexpensive hotel.It's very very clean,safe and near to nice shops and restaurants too!Naples to Pompei is just a short train ride but you can also hire taxis from the Santa Lucia area outside the hotel/s or if your really adventourous take the ferry boat from the harbour to Sorrenton first then catch the train back to Naples and hop off at Pompei which is on the route.

Haven't done the Naples to Venice flight thing personally but you could get a pretty cheap flight from Rome,just up the coast,to Venice from www.ryanair.com-They offer excellent service at very low prices and I have used them many times.Good Luck and God Bless! "Godso"