We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro del Mare - 2011

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Metro del Mare - 2011

The "Metro del Mare" began operating in 2001, and since we've lived here its start dates - and those of Easter Sunday - have gone like this:

2003 - 11 April (Apr 20)

2004 - 23 April (Apr 11)

2005 - 7 May (Mar 27)

2006 - 13 April (Apr 16)

2007 - 31 March (Apr 8)

2008 - 22 April (Mar 23)

2009 - 23 April (Apr 12)

Last year - when Easter Sunday fell on Apr 4 - the Regione's plan had been for the service to begin on 23rd April, however problems with the contract process led to that being delayed until June 20th.

No news as yet for 2011, and all I can suggest at present is checking back here in a few weeks: quite probably the proposed start date will again be given in the new "Invitation to tender" document, which last year they issued towards the end of February.

The 'new' website, opened last year, can be found here...

http://www.metrodelmare.net/

There's currently no response from the previous address... wwwDOTmetrodelmareDOTcom

Peter

11. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 14:05
12. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 16:35
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

A point of clarification on the matter of

"the history of shipping routes that have closed in the face of competition from cheapening airfares."

Each of the examples cited in the previous posting of maritime services involving the minor islands surrounding Sicily (which were discontinued during the past several years), was not in consequence of cheapening airfares, but rather of other factors (each distinct for each of the three examples noted). The airfares (in some cases not becoming cheaper) in fact had little to nothing to do with the financial decisions to curtail the maritime services.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

We are visiting our mother and father in law in Rutino (about 10 mins drive from Agropoli) and were hoping to use the Metro Del Mare - checked the website and it seems its not going to start until July this year so pretty disappointed about this! Does anyone know of any good boat excursions to Amalfi from Agropoli? Thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

Hi!

There's still no official news from the Regione of Campania re the MdM this year, although I spoke with one of the Assessore's offices on Friday and the person there was hopeful of it being in operation again by June - however the "bando" to tender for running it has yet to be published....

While the Metro del Mare provides the main seasonal transport by sea in that area, its very presence - and heavily subsidised fares - makes things difficult for any other services!

Don't know where you say that July information, but obviously we'll know one way or the other long before then. And if it isn't running by then, it won't!

You might bookmark this thread and check back occasionally?

Otherwise, it looks as though these people offer tours when they've no dive customers...

http://www.submaniaagropoli.it/en_servizi.htm

... but you may be best asking your relatives to find out what's available?

Peter

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

Thanks for the info! I got the summer information from the timetables on the website so just presuming it won't start until then. My mother and father in law don't know much about the touristy side of things as they have always just went over to visit relatives before and not done much travelling around! Thanks again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

With thanks to Stefano for passing on the link, there's a report this morning that the MdM won't be running this year....

www.ilmattino.it/articolo.php…

That the economic downturn for you!

I'll have a read of it, and get back if there's anything of interest to say....

Peter

Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

Hello Peter, thank you for this. From what I gather (via the weird translation I used) it will cause a great deal of traffic problems especially in the high season. I appreciate your updates - we will be there mid May. Thanks again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

Like many others here on TA, we've enjoyed the MdM over the years - a great way to get around.

And I'm sure its presence must help with the road traffic and pollution problems, but I think the best they've done is to clock up some 250,000 passengers, on about 3,500 journeys, over a full season.

Allow for a few return trips, and that could well be just 200,000 users - out of the 4.5 million people who visit Campania each year and spend 18 or 19 million days in the area... plus however many Campanians do or don't use it.

While its withdrawl certainly won't help things, chaos isn't necessarily going to follow... whereas operating hydrofoils with an average of only 70 passengers per journey (less than 20% of capacity), and a subsidy that averages almost €20 per ticket, are both hard to justify at present?

Of course the real answer would be to treble the number of users, so €5 or 6 million more in fares give a small profit - but that's left for another year...

Peter

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Metro del Mare - 2011

How frustrating, understandable though, especially reading those figures. Thanks for the update Peter.

Off to check the viability of going to Salerno other ways, I know going by bus takes ages including changing in Amalfi, but I really fancied a trip there in May and had planned using the MdM again!