We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Topic
Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

Hello,

I´m planning a trip around Italy and I´d like to know If the overnight train between Naples and Milano is dangerous in some aspect or If it is completely safe. And what happens with the overnight train between Rome and Milano? Is it the same?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

You don't really need an overnighter, it's only about a 5 hour trip on the AV train.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

Thats true but the main reason i want to take an overnight train is to sleep there, save the money of a hostel and be in Milan as early as possible. So, do you think it is dangerous for tourists travelling alone?

Maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

I have traveled alone and taken several overnight trains in Italy. I plan to continue taking them, like you, to save an overnight hotel cost. There is a lock on the door of the sleeping compartment. Quite honestly I never really sleep much because of the noise. The people who have been in the compartment with me have been nice people who just want to get from point A to point B. Be careful with any valuables as you would normally be and you should be fine.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

In 2000, I traveled Venice to Naples in a private sleeper. My traveling companion's purse was taken from our compartment while she went to the restroom, and I was in the top bunk. Making a police report, we met other train passengers. Just keep your valuables on your person at all times, and you will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

In effect, you will be sleeping in a room full of strangers. It is unlikely that you will be attacked, but you may well find that someone has taken your belongings while you were asleep.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

In a sleeper or couchette, there's a lock and security lock on the door, and you'll be safe and snug.

Yes, an overnight trip can save daytime time even compared to a flight, as well as saving a hotel bill.

Common sense says you take you valuables with you when leaving your compartment, as you would in a hotel, and yes, your companions will be normal travellers like yourself if you share. No thief actually buys a ticket and does the whole journey and shares with the people he plans to rob, does he? When you sleep on a long haul overnight plane, do you worry about being robbed by the person next to you while you sleep?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

Hello, Man in seat 6..... It is true that if you are on a long haul overnight plane you probably don't worry about being robbed by the person next to you while you are asleep.... however, there is a difference.

On a flight... your thief is as confined as you are and cannot get off at the next stop while you sleep ! The plane does not stop en route, allowing someone to get on or off ..as a train may do for any number of railway reasons (e.g. shunted temporarily into sidings to allow another train to pass../ stopping just outside a station to wait for a line to clear ) Nor is there a whole number of carriages or compartments on a plane, for the thief to hide in, en route ! And the thief does not have to buy a ticket, necessarily - because s/he has to be caught on the train by a controller to be fined.... you can't even get on the flight without a ticket / valid passport etc. the thief may bave bought the cheapest second class seat ticket, or none at all, where there is no check at the platform....(sometimes there is in the UK) and then will be free to wander throughout the train, through first class... through the sleeper cars... no-one checks identity before anyone gets on a train within that country, or crossing EU borders (well, that may change soon with the fuss being made about N African illegal immigrants and refugees that France and N.Europe don't want.... )

It has been known for criminals to jump on sleeper trains en route through Italy and lock the sleeping car attendant in his cubby hole, and take his ' master key' off him, to enter the locked compartmentsand rob people while they sleep..

Sure, treat a train at night as you would in the day....stay awake, or take it in turns with a trusted travelling companion to sleep.

You just cannot compare rail and air travel !!!

Sleep on a train ?/?? No way !!!

8. Re: Overnight sleeper train from Naples to Milano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2012, 05:29