We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

We just read a blog about fried pizza. Has anyone had this? Is it so worth it?We love anything fried but since we are going to inhale pasta for 11days, we should give it a pass if it doesn't rate.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

May I refer you to the advice of Sir Thomas Beecham - that one should, "Try Everything Once..." ?

Granted, they weren't deep-frying pizza, or Mars bars, in those days!

Peter

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

I have borrowed that phrase more than once, Peter. My daughter thought I penned it!

I draw the line at fried mars bars and fried butter/coke/ice cream they had at the Texas State Fair last year. Ick.

Have you tried a fried pizza, Peter? The blog made it sound like it was the next best thing and not some crazy lark.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

Certainly have - OK, and interesting for a while, but you wouldn't necessarily get through a whole one to yourself....

But if you want something fried, my weakness is for the wonderful mix that's to be found in a good 'frittura italiana' - if I'm not preaching to the already-converted?

Look for somewhere that makes their own, rather than deepfrying frozen bought-in stuff, and you'll get almost tempura-style vegetables, aranchini rice balls, potato croquettes, as well as battered stuffed olives and mozzarella balls, etc etc.

The best I've had in Naples was one lunchtime, at a waterside table of the very civilised Transatlantico, near the foot of Castel dell'Ovo, in the Borgo Marinari....

http://www.transatlanticonapoli.com/en/

Aaaah...

Peter

PS - My mother and I rarely get beyond the country dancing!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

The Deep Fried Pizza was invented in Glasgow by Scots/Italians and is generally regarded as a Scottish Speciality obtainable in most Scottish chip shops, along with the deep fried Mars Bar

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,923 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

Curious: how do you deep fry pizza?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,194 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

I like the original style!! I say ,"NO" to frying pizza!!

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

I think I'd skip the fried pizza; the wood fired ovens give the dough the best smoky, chewy crust...but the fried rice balls are to die for, with little bits of ham or peas in them. Looks for a place on the street with a glass case out front on the sidewalk that is doing a brisk business and they should be good. Also the cannollis with the fried shells are yummy, too! That's what I would eat that's fried.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

I've got to try everything once. Fried pizza included. How do they deep fry pizza.?How do they deep fry butter? Somehow where there's a will there's a way.

BTW, I love those fried rice balls too. Had them once. OMG. Heaven!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

disclaimer: I haven't personally tried it, but the photo and description from this well-reputed food blog parlafood.com/daily-food-photo-pizza-fritta/ suggest that fried pizza is more of a hand-held street snack that is not similar to traditional pizza in much except name? I guess it's probably different at different vendors but what's in that photo is certainly not something I'd compare to a traditional pizza or consider as a replacement... is the description on that blog way off? because that does look pretty fan-freaking-tastic ;)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fried pizza in Naples. Worth the hype?

Down here there are restaurants that use even smaller ones as an amuse-bouche, offering a little plate of them with a glass of prosecco while you go through the menu... or they'll sometimes turn up when you order a bunch of antipasti.

As they do tend to be quite heavy going, that size is probably enough!

Peter