We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

I was in Naples a yr ago for only three days and really enjoyed it and was just passing through again a few weeks ago but only for one night, so we dropped off our bags at the hotel and headed out walking up Corso Umberto and back around through the back streets and I was appalled at all the mountains of garbage everywhere. I don't remember it that bad a yr ago. They were HUGE and there were many. I think Naples gets a bad rap, but you would think that somebody could do something. It doesn't exactly help with putting on the best "face" that Naples can when the place is full of mountains of garbage. Those of you that live there or are the experts on here; what do you think? Is it really worse this yr or am I just imagining that it's worse. Also, I would think it would be a health hazard.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

We are just back from Sorrento ,decided to go to Naples for the day. We could not believe the amout of Litter all over the place in fact i have to say its the dirtiest city we have ever visited

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

Naples has been having a garbage crisis, on and off, for years. At the moment, it's on again.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

I read into it when I got back. It's all very political with also mafia style gangs involved. It's a shame no one can solve it. But we won't be back. At night the place must be crawling with rats as the rubbish is all over the place ,mountains of it. First thing you see when you arrive outside the main train station is piles of rubbish that look like it has been there for ages

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

Didn't see any rats, but saw cats! They must be having a field day with those piles! I hate to think when it gets warm what all that is going to smell like. Seriously; it's on just about every other corner you walk by and it's piled up very high. Where's Silvio when you really need him????

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

Yes indeed, where is SILVIO B when you need him ? He said he'd got it all solved and cleared up..... and that was last year.... does anyone still beleive the man ?

It's politics.....

it's mafia....

it's all still there.....

I still find it amazing that Sorrento... just down the road, in the same region, is able to clear up its rubbish and have the place all perfumed and lovely for its tourists..... so where does their rubbish go ?

think of it... all those thousands of tourists..... all that food.... all that rubbish

and yet Sorrento is as sweet smelling as ever.....

and Silvio is still Prime minister...... even at his trials, he still comes up smelling of roses, and those people still vote for him ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

Silvio is too busy fighting law cases and trying to subvert the constitution to do anything about it. Besides, the last time he "fixed the problem", it didn't stay fixed.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

No, it didn't, indeed.... I wonder why ?

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

Good point Nolana; where's everyone else's garbage going?? where's the outrage??? If Naples wants to get any business from tourism, it's going to have to do something because I can't imagine most people will come back after they see this. It's too bad, because there are some really wonderful things to see there. I will go back to the Amalfi coast, though. Miss it already.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,913 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

My guess is that the residents of Naples are a lot more concerned about the garbage for their sake than worrying about whether tourists will come to the city or not. Yes, it would be nice for them to have more tourist dollars but it's certainly not the priority.

If they (the people) could make a larger impact on how this issue can be resolved, I think it would have happened by now. I'm sure their concerns about their own health, their kids, etc is paramount and unfortunately, the powers that be (both legit and not) are harming the people who live there.

I was there just for a few hours a few weeks ago near the train station and didn't see the garbage piles; I walked a few blocks in two different directions - I guess it has sprouted up again since which is not surprising.

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you've been there lately what'd you think @ the garbage?

I never meant to say it's only "too bad for the tourists" and not the people that live there. That was not my intent; so sorry, just saying this is a website for tourism and you would think a city would be concerned about the face they are putting forward from that angle. But, of course, it's a terrrible health hazard and I would not live in it nor raise my family in it. Trust me; you didn't walk far enough; it's there. OK; I'll leave it at that and not add anymore. I feel bad for the people who live there and are stuck there and for the people who obviously love the place.