We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

I'm an thinking of going to Napoli for six weeks next summer . . . June & July. I am looking for an apartment with an independent entrance, washer/dryer, a/c, and wifi. I need someplace I can feel safe walking alone at night. If you are anti-Naples, please don't go on a rant about how I should just not go. I live in New Orleans and have to be aware of my surroundings when going to the neighborhood drugstore. Just looking to immerse myself for awhile. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

by the way, i'm strongly considering the area of piazza di dante. thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

I've not rented this apartment myself, as it was not available for the period I wanted. But several different friends did rent the apartment: One a single woman, also two women friends together, also a woman friend and a male friend of hers. All were perfectly happy with the apartment.

homelidays.co.uk/napoli/apartment-flat-15532…

Given that this is going to be my first real stay in Naples (not counting overnight on the way somewhere else) I opted to stay in an hotel for a week as I just wanted more peace of mind in arranging my stay. I just couldn't figure out the plusses and minusses of the various apartments and neighborhoods.

Wow, six weeks based in Naples.... sounds wonderful.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

I am going to Naples for 6 weeks this Thursday (oh lord, it has come very quickly!) on my own (I am 26 and done a fair amount of travelling, and know Naples well - my family are Italian). I will try and find the name of the company I am using - he has been exceptionally helpful! I am staying in Vomero, which is in the hilly district so not in the centre of Naples.

People go on about the safety in Naples, but to be honest I have never felt threatened. I always walk with a purpose and look like I know where I am going!

My friend was assaulted at the Trafford Centre (a shopping Mall in Manchester) because she wanted to park her car and this man wouldn't move as he was talking to his friend - in the middle of the day!

Edited: 13 June 2011, 10:17
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

We thought the St. Lucia/Chiaia area was very nice and we felt completely safe theren.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

Vomero and Chiaia are both rather upscale and quiet areas, and would undoubtedly be quite safe for you.

If you prefer to be in the historic center, you might look into this place. It's right off via Toledo, a major shopping and pedestrian street. I don't know much about them, but I'm considering a stay with them next year. You'll see a link to their website at the top of the reviews page....

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187785-d943988…

I'd be very interested in knowing what you decide on. Six weeks in bella Napoli. I'm envious!

Good luck.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 13:10
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

Oh, and that place is just a short walk south of Piazza Dante. It's a nice (though noisy) area. I've stayed in Piazza Bellini, just a stone's throw from there, a couple of times.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

thanks, everyone! keep it coming. the trip is becoming more and more of a reality for me the more i research!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

You might have trouble finding an apt with all the extras you want.

None of the apts I have rented in Rome or Florence (2005-2011) have had washers or wifi. Most Italian homes do not have dryers; they dry by hanging the clothes out. Wifi is getting to be more common in apts recently.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

lupaling: i'm beginning to figure that out. I'm trying to decide what I can do without. I guess I could adjust to no airconditioning. i'm from new orleans, so doing that never even crossed my mind. as far as the internet, i'm sure i could figure out something! the laundry . . . i guess i could just do it at a laundromat, but i'm the type of person that is doing laundry 24 hours into a vacation. hmmm. what to do, what to do? I'm also trying to figure out whether i'm willing to trade all of these amenities for spectacular views. or do i want someplace tucked into a crazy little street. i'm looking to truly immerse myself in daily life there.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe area to rent apartment for single woman in Napoli

i think i've found a place with excellent potential. great neighborhood, washer/dryer combo machine in the apartment, air conditioning. no internet. no spectacular views, but interior not too modern looking (which is good). the problem is that i am alone and this place has bedding for 5 and two bathrooms. i feel so self-indulgent (in a bad way) by taking up so much space!