We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone cards and pay phones??

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
phone cards and pay phones??

I usually buy a phone card for 5-10euro and use it on my hotel phone to call home most nights.

THIS trip I am planning to be in an apartment and so I just realized I won't have a land line phone to use.

Soo I wonder if there are such old fashioned things as pay phones where you can also use a phone card???

IF not then I might have to join the modern world and buy a new phone that can be used internationally! Yikes!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

For me, the best option was to buy in the US an "unlocked" cell phone. Then once here, I bought a TIM SIM card at the TIM store. I just re-up my usage $$ by purchasing top-up cards for 10 euros or so each time. I only use the cell for emergencies. However to make calls home to the US, Skype is excellent. Calls home are "Free" via my computer once I downloaded the software and paid a nominal yearly fee. (However, I have a TIM chiavetta for wireless)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

Hi friend Riffsmom

I found a couple of years ago that, as in US, pay phones in Italy are now few and far between. And particularly in cities, they are only at very very noisy intersections. So.... you may need to take the next step...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

HI italophileNJ--Thanks--I was afraid of that-though it doesn't seem logical to buy a new phone just for a week in Italy!!

Edited: 26 June 2011, 16:54
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

The pay-as-you go mobile we bought on our arrival here in 2003 is still in everyday use - and, just as then, the Vodafone range starts at 49.99 Euro, with this being the one they offer now:

amazon.co.uk/Samsung-C3050-Stratus-Mobile-Ph…

It's available in pink or grey, and the price includes a 5 Euro starter credit...

http://www.vodafone.it

Peter

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

Thankyou for trying to be helpful Peter!

You may all laugh at me but I absolutely do NOT understand anything about the phone or the offers from Vodaphone even when I DO understand the Italian!

<sigh> I am stepping away from the computer now so I don't feel totally idiotic for the whole day!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

Much the same here - and that's why we're still using such an ancient phone!

Where are all the ten year-olds when you need one?

Peter

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

May end up using skype if the wi fi in the apartment really works!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

When I needed to use a pay phone is 2006 in Rome becaseu my AT&T Roamining was not working, finding a phpne was difficult and the first 2 I found had been vandalized so that they were not working. I woud not expect naples to be any different.

Many moere apts not have Wifi, but to date no one of my pats in Rome had wifi including the one I rented in march 2011.

I have an old Razr I bought on ebay , and I use a Telestial global SIM in it. Same rates all over europe. It was great for my Paris vacation last Nov.

9. Re: phone cards and pay phones??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:17