We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Pozzuoli...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Pozzuoli...

It's far from difficult to go to Pozzuoli - just choose your route, and where to arrive! But, for getting the most from the outing, it might be an idea to go one way and return another?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129558155

Thanks to the UnicoCampania ticketing system, the cost on all the Regional public transport is the same. If it were me - and possibly hoping to explore a little further - I'd pay the slight extra for the daylong zone U2 ticket (€6.30 Mon/Fri, €3.40 Sat &Sun) rather than the U1 version, which only covers out to the town's boundaries...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/134339522

By rail there's a choice of two lines:

unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mapparotary.pdf

- On Linea 2 of the Metropolitana system, trains take about 35 minutes from the city centre, with stops at several other stations - this being pretty typical...

http://www.e656.net/orario/treno/7666.html

If using the city's main station in Piazza Garibaldi, the platforms you need are one level down from those of Trenitalia's "Napoli Centrale"!

In Pozzuoli, the full name of their station is actually "Pozzuoli Solfatara", and it's very handy for the upper parts of town, the amphitheatre, Solfatara volcano and also the street of Roman shops and houses to be seen from the green suspension bridge over the archaeological area, just as the Variante Solfatara branches off the road into town.

- otherwise, the Cumana railway runs out from its Montesanta terminus, and passes through Pozzuoli down at sea level, with a station that's handy for the Serapio. For more, see...

sepsa.it/flex/…6

Trains are frequent so perhaps little point in downloading the timetable, from:

sepsa.it/flex/…39

Those familiar with my gravity-assisted style of travelling won't be surprised that I recommend arriving on the Linea 2, seeing the Solfatara and amphitheatre first and then walking down through the town - to return to Naples on the Cumana?

It's possible to interchange between those two lines - and the guy at AMN suggested using Napoli Campei Flegrei station to do so! That might be handy if returning to the city on the Cumana railway, but wanting to get to the Napoli Centrale area, or others served by the Metropolitana?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Buses - a bit of a non-starter at the moment. Sadly, ANM have withdrawn their 152 bus route, which ran thru' Piazza Garibaldi. Rather fun - it passed near the Hippodrome and several of the spas, and you got richly sulphurous advance warnings of the approach of the Solfatara stop!

Otherwise, take any ANM service to their Fuorigrotta depot, and change to one of the CTP routes...

For other map extracts, and some photos that may demonstrate why this area shouldn't be overlooked, start here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/flegrei

Hopefully that expands a little on the piece we translated for the UnicoCampania people last summer....

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Peter

PS: The Pozzuoli comune offers fuller listings of the town's extensive archaeological remains, with some photos, here:

comune.pozzuoli.na.it/publication/p311.html

and here:

comune.pozzuoli.na.it/publication/p312.html

PPS: For more reasons for going, try...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g194864-i6406-k4…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

Thanks Peter!

You have made what sounded very complicated to me at first, into a much simpler proposition!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

Just one more question.

I understand completely about using Line 2 to get to the upper town.

I understand what one can see there.

I am not clear as to what you mean by the "Serapio" ??

I have looked at your maps and pix and still don't quite understand.

Sorry if I am being really "thick" about it.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

It's the "Serapeo" or "Tempio di Serapide".

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

It's this...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pozzuoli&page=2

Serapio would appear to be a localised version of the spelling, particular to just one poster here:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Ooops!

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

And it's worth a look because of the way it demonstrates this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradyseism

... as was mentioned in the lovely episode of Linea Blu that I recommend to you in your "Having trouble waiting" thread a while back!

Peter

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

Grazie, I get it now!!

Edited: 14 July 2011, 15:35
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

We will be coming into Naples from Sorrento on the Circumvesuviana line, and from there we want to go to Pozzuoli-Solfatara on Linea 2. I know we transfer at the Piazza Garibaldi/Centrale station.

What I'm unclear on is this: are we already near Linea 2 when we arrive at the station? Will it be relatively clearly marked how to transit there from the Circumvesuviana drop off point?

I've searched for a map of the inside of the station but cannot seem to locate one. We will have luggage (light, but nonetheless...), so we are hoping it won't be a huge trek.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

Hi there!

You'll arrive at the CV's platforms, which are in the basement of the station complex - two levels below ground - and will need to change to the Metropolitana, which use ones a level above that!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131658260

Take the up escalator at the end of the platform that's shown in that photo, and follow almost everyone to the right - then go through the barriers....

http://www.pbase.com/image/125760466

.... and look for the blue direction signs that have a red "M" and say 'Metropolitana'.

This next one's an awful photo - taken in the corridors there - but you may be able to spot some of those direction signs on the wall?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128343808

Some of the maps here may be of assistance with the journey:

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Particularly this one, on which - as mentioned in the opening post - it's the Trenitalia name for that station (simply "Pozzuoli"), rather than its full one ("Pozzuoli Solfatara"), that's marked on the bluey-green Linea 2....

unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mapparotary.pdf

... if all that makes sense?

Peter

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

Very helpful.....grazie!

10. Re: Getting to Pozzuoli...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 10:16