We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pizza Question

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton,Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pizza Question

Help! I was really looking forward to going to Da Michele for pizza, but we are there on a Sunday and they are closed. Is there another place that is comparable that would be open on a Sunday?

We are only in Naples for a day. We were planning to do Pompeii in the morning and Naples in the afternoon. With Da Michele being closed, I'm thinking of skipping Naples and heading to Sorrento after Pompeii. In your opinion, is the pizza that good in Naples that you would spend the afternoon in Naples or would you head to Sorrento?

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pizza Question

If you are going to Pompeii, it is tremendously worthwhile to visit the archeological museum in Naples as well because that is where many of the most beautiful and fascinating artifacts of Pompeii are kept for security reasons.

There is an extremely well-regarded pizzeria called Sorbillo that is just steps from the archeological museum.

I go to Naples just to enjoy Naples and personally, I prefer Roman pizza to Neopolitan pizza. But you will never know what true Neopolitan pizza tastes like unless you eat it in Naples.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pizza Question

Near the Museum Bellini , Via Cosyantinopoli 79/80 takes a lot of beating,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pizza Question

Pizza's a wonderful thing, but is it really worth basing half of your only day here on the 15 minutes you'll take to eat one?

I've never heard of anywhere quite as dedicated as Da Michele to the only two types of Neapolitan pizza (*) given the EU's Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (TSG) status, but you can read about the AVPN - the 'Real Neapolitan Pizza Association' - on their website:

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/index_eng.php

The member pizzerias in the Campania area are listed here:

www.pizzanapoletana.org/showreg_eng.php…

We've one almost directly across the street from us on Ischia, and I see there are even some in Canada!

The Archaeological museum certainly houses a wonderful collection....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/nap_archaeol

... although, along with Pompeii, that might all be a little dry - so do try to see a little of Naples as well?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

And if you're then a bit late for lunch, perhaps try the several pizzeria / restaurants around the Borgo di Marinaro - near the Castel Del Ovo - as those in that very pleasant area tend to stay open longer than most on Sundays; see the latter pages of the "Sunday in Mergellina" group in those photos!

Several are mentioned in the listings section of this tourist board publication - which may very well be of use for other things too...

www.inaples.it/public/quinapoli/quinapoli.pdf

Peter

PS: (*) The rules, all 11 pages of them, for making proper “Pizza Marinara” and “Pizza Margherita” are here:

pizzanapoletana.org/images/…20UK.pdf

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pizza Question

Funnily, but while Da Michele gets all the press (along with Presidente and Brandi), lots of pizza mavens recommend other places for better pizza. I've tried Da Michele -- before Julia Roberts did! -- and I thought it was least tasty of all the pizza I've eaten in Naples.

I am all for seeing more rather than less of Naples and am concerned that a description of the Archeological Museum as "dry" when paired with Pompeii is misleading. The museum is actually quite popular, and it often turns some people who were wary of Naples into permanent boosters of visiting the city, even when they aren't museum-hounds. It is not a large museum and a several knockout rooms, including the "secret" cabinet of erotic art from Pompeii and the ancient cities extraordinary mosaics. It is not difficult to go the museum, eat pizza and walk to the port through the amazing heart of town in an afternoon, including a stop by such eye-popping small gems as the Capella Sansevero or the cloisters at Santa Chiara.

But I wouldn't bypass the museum if you've an interest in Pompeii and made an effort to go there. They are twinned.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 17:38
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pizza Question

I'm most concerned at seeing an attempt to twist my words.... so let me repeat them in full:

"The Archaeological museum certainly houses a wonderful collection....

... although, along with Pompeii, that might all be a little dry - so do try to see a little of Naples as well?"

For the record, the collections in the museum - the largest and most important in southern Italy - are listed here:

…campaniabeniculturali.it/thematic-paths/in-…

... although "actually quite popular" may perhaps belie its position in the table of Italy's 'payfor' attractions:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/130860387

Peter

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pizza Question

Sunday afternoon is tough in Naples because a lot of things are closed, but the best pizza we've had in the City of Naples is Starita a Materdei, I believe they're open Sunday evening.

http://www.pizzeriastarita.it

As luck would have it, Starita is not terribly far from the Archaeological Museum, which would give you an opportunity to see the artifacts from Pompeii, plus a whole lot more.

Capodimonte is also another fabulous museum.

But for my money, a stroll through Centro Storico or Lungomare is priceless.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pizza Question

Sorbillo's is also closed on Sundays. At least it was a couple years ago when I was last in Naples.

I've enjoyed pizza multiple times at Pizzeria Vesi, just around the corner from Piazza Bellini (address: Via Tribunali 388) and a short walk from the museum. They were open on Sundays when I was last in town.

Edmonton,Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pizza Question

I've decided that I really want pizza, so I'm going to shuffle things around while in Rome and we're going for a pizza run from Rome. Sometimes you just have to do something crazy. So Pizzaria Starita, Di Matteo or Da Michele?

9. Re: Pizza Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2011, 07:16
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pizza Question

Otherwise, the entry "September 9- our daytrip to Pompeii" here may be of interest...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k485…

Peter