We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire for a day outside Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
154 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire for a day outside Naples

We are going to visit my family for a day while we are staying in Naples. They live in a little village called Casale outside Carinola. I can't figure out a way to use public transpo to get there, so car hire it is. I know Naples can be a bit dodgy with the car hire places, can someone give me a good reference?

It will be the first time I get to see my family there, I'm so excited!

Thank you!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,359 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

Try Autoeurope. They serve as a broker for major car rental companies. Make sure you get your International Driving Permit from your local AAA. It's required in Italy.

http://www.autoeurope.com/

https://www.auto-europe.co.uk/car.cfm

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

I'd strongly advise that you discuss this with your relatives, as they'll know best how to do the journey!

If you did want to go by public transport, the ACMS bus line offers an infrequent but direct service all the way from Naples (which operates only on 'feriale' days - Mon to Sat - and not on the public holidays of New Year's Day, Easter or Christmas!).

Details as shown in the last section of this timetable:

acms.it/ita/…2011.pdf

To check again nearer the date of travel, start here:

www.acms.it/ita/index.php…

I'd thought there might also be routes with a change to a bus at the stations of Sessa Aurunca or Caserta, but can't immediately find any sensible connections from either to Casale.... although a family member might be able to pick you up - in which case there are several train stations that might also suit?

Peter

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

That's what I thought too but they're kinda out there a ways and there will be four of us traveling. I didn't see it as very fair to come and pick us all up. Not to mention I know how they are and I didn't want to be trapped there when we already have other plans made...ha ha.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

I used Herrz's office at the cruise ship pier because it was walkable from my hotel. It was easy on/off the freeway with no ztl risk. I doubt that the little town that you are visiting is big enough to have ztls but if you decide to explore you should read up on the subject. FYI your town is pretty well covered by Street View so you might be able to see your relatives' place. Oops just noticed that I misused "freeway" for the upteenth time

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

Italian hospitality can indeed be pretty overwhelming!

But the infrequency of that bus service would provide a perfect excuse for not lingering?

Peter

6. Re: Car hire for a day outside Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:17