We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day - best option for scenery

ireland
Level Contributor
354 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
One day - best option for scenery

Hi all. I am considering bringing my mum and elderly aunt on a cruise which stops in Naples. My mum has wanted to visit the amalfi coast all her life and is nearly 70 now so this would be a good chance. I have been to Sorrento before ( and visited capri, pompei, ercolano). I would love if someone could suggest how we could avail of public transport to see as much as the amalfi coast as possible, they will not be interested in museums just scenery ( and possibly a few churches) . If we got a bus from Naples to Positano could we get the ferry back ? To add to this my aunt has an issue with her lungs so while she is perfectly mobile she needs to take it slowly and avoid walking up hills ( yes i remmeber how hilly positano is ) we will also be on a tight budget hence why we cant afford a tour ) Am i taking on too much, i would just love to make my mums dream come true !

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day - best option for scenery

When exactly will you be there? The availability of ferry services varies by season.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day - best option for scenery

You could take the SITA bus down the coast to Amalfi and back if you wished. Very inexpensive, and if you sit on the right side of the bus going to Amalfi and the driver's side returning to Naples, you would get the best views out of the bus windows.

As stated above, the ferry schedules change by season and sometimes by weather.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day - best option for scenery

No promises for what will be on offer in 2012, but last year there were a couple of hydrofoils each morning that you could have taken to go to Positano or Amalfi - which ran from early July until mid-September..

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137462170

Very handy, as they leave from the 'Beverello' quay in the harbour, only a very short walk from the cruise ship terminal....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132449571

.... and quite reasonably priced...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/140771321

This may be a help with identifying what's where - and, roughly, how long the various journeys take by bus and train....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

But knowing when you'll be here is key - plus it would help to have an idea of when you'll get off the ship, and need to be back aboard?

Peter

4. Re: One day - best option for scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 10:23