We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

We are arriving on a cruise to Naples on 6/16/2012. We are looking at a 1//2 day tour to either Positano or Sorrento and then touring the rest of the day in Naples prior to boarding our ship.

Which would be the better choice for 1/2 day tour? Positano or Sorrento.

Thanks for your help.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

Depends what each tour offers and what you enjoy. Are these by bus, or boat? Do you want time to wander around the town, or are you more interested in a scenic drive?

Doing Positano in a half day will mean very little time in the town itself, but you will at least see the Amalfi Coast and experience part of the drive. Sorrento is closer, but arguably less distinctive than Positano. Personally, I'd skip Naples and spend the whole day seeing Sorrento and/or the Amalfi Coast.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

Train Naples to Sorrento www.vesuviana.it

Amalfi coast bus ( sit on the right handside of the bus)

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Ferry www.coopsantandrea.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Florida
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

If taking the train from the port of Naples, what is the name of the station? I am guess porta?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

If you mean for trains to Sorrento, the nearest station - from where their route actually begins - would be "Porta Nolana".

Look for the dotted green line, which marks their route, on this:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137712951

(where it's abbreviated to P.TA NOLANA)

That station's also at top right of this grab from GoogleMaps...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/122851273

It's a fair walk, but not impossible...

Peter

5. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2012, 02:18
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

I would personally go to Positano for a half day. The drive is scenic, you will experience the Amalfi coast a bit more, and there are nice shops and restaurants. Although I love Sorrento, Positano is something not to miss and it's not too big, so can easily be visited in a few hours. You need a bit more time to wander and take in Sorrento in my opinion.

Whichever you choose, they are both lovely.

I hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

How long of a taxi ride is it from Naples to Sorento? What might a taxi cost?

8. Re: Positano or Sorrento for 1/2 day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:42