We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples opera safety and corridination

Vermont
Level Contributor
48 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Naples opera safety and corridination

I am going for a day trip to Naples May 22, 2012. My friend had her friend who knows Italian order the tickets for us. However she ordered them with her credit card and her name and they don't want to send the tickets overseas so we need to pick them at the box office. We have a signed letter authorizing us to pick them up with her stationary and a photocopy of her passport along with buisness cards but I'm worried they might not give them to us and we would be out hundreds of dollars. Does anyone have any advice on what we might do? Also we will be in Naples at night and I have read so much about the crime there. I know not to bring anything flashy or expensive but the owner of the hotel we are staying at said he was worried about us being there at night too and he could arrange something. Is this something we could do on our own and be fairly safe or should we make arrangements through our hotel?

UK
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

If I understand this right you have booked and paid for tickets for an evening performance of La Boheme at San Carlo Opera House. You have received a letter of authorization which you should show at the Box Office when you collect your tickets. I assume this letter shows the price you have paid and the seating position of your tickets?

The reason I ask this is that the only problem we've had in booking tickets was for a performance at Turin Opera House. We telephoned some weeks beforehand to reserve two seats and then faxed confirmation of this with price and credit card details. When we collected our tickets from the box office, one hour before curtain-up, we were surprised to be shown to seats at the front of the stalls. Only then did we realise we had been sold tickets double the price we had agreed to pay by phone and fax. Because we enjoyed the performance we did not take this up with our credit card company - just be aware.

Enjoy your evening at San Carlo - somewhere we've always talked of going.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

It seems that the issue is more that the Opera House wants the person who picks up the tickets to be the person whose credit card was used.

Do you know for certain that an authorization from the person who bought the tickets with their credit card is acceptable?

UK
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

Whenever we've collected tickets from box offices in Italy we've only been asked for our confirmatory letter/fax/email.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

We walked from our hotel in Santa Lucia to the opera house for a performance a few years ago without problem. If you are concerned about crime, take a taxi.

We have collected opera tickets here and there in Europe with our letter of confirmation or reservation number but don't know how the Naples box office will react. With copy of credit card, letter of authorization etc, I would be optimistic but there are never guarantees. I can't see an option besides hoping for the best here.I would just present the letter or email received by the buyer rather than explaining you are not that person unless asked. With our number or voucher we have never been asked for additional ID. (although obviously it could happen at which point you haul out the additional information you have from the buyer)

Edited: 27 April 2012, 16:32
Vermont
Level Contributor
48 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

Thanks for all your advice. I'm pretty sure we have the confirmation letter (I will double check before we leave). I think we have everything we could possibly need so hopefully it works out! And it looks like I will be taking a taxi! Thanks again!

6. Re: Naples opera safety and corridination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:43