We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

nowra
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

Can anyone advise whether the Museum of Archaeology will be open on August 15th? (start of Ferrgosto holiday). We have 1 day in Naples on hat date on a cruise ship. Also,is public transport from the terminal avalable, or would a taxi be better propositon? Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

According to the official museum site, Aug 15 is not one of their closing days. The English link doesn't seem to be working but Martedi is Monday and their weekly closing day.

…campaniabeniculturali.it/…

TAB

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

If Martedi is Monday, then what is Lunedi?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

I can definitely vouch for their regular closing day being Tuesday - having dragged up there - indeed in August - one time!

Last year the holiday fell on a Monday, one of their usual opening days, and it was open - as were, specially, many things up and down the country that would normally have been closed:

napolidavivere.it/2011/…

So take it as probably being open that Wednesday, and I'll try to confirm by phone over the next day or two!

A taxi is the easiest way to get up there, with buses available - although we've done done the journey that way since the new "no traffic" zone was implemented....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137712951

Walk back though, it's all downhill, and you'll pass the remains of the Roman port, uncovered when digging out a new Metro station:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/nap_ho_ho

You might even like to take the opentop ho-ho bus? Their site seems not to be opening for me at present, but usually:

www.napoli.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm

However you get there, it's well worth the journey!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/nap_archaeol

Peter

PS: You might like to have a look at "Qui Napoli" - a very good, bimonthly bilingual magazine from the Naples area tourism people, which offers visitors lots of useful what's on information, listings etc. As of this June it's only available online, with a PDF version available for download from...

http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

(Expect the August / September edition early in August!)

Also:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k53…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k5346…

United States
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

<<If Martedi is Monday, then what is Lunedi?>> ooops that will teach me not to do two things at once

TAB

Edited: 30 June 2012, 04:59
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

The nice lady who answers the phone there says they'll be open that day!

Peter

nowra
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

Hi peter

Thanks for confirming the museum will be open that day as well as all the other useful links provided earlier. We visited Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento and Capri (but not Ischia) on a previous 1 week stay some years ago, but missed the museum at that time, so looking foward to it on this cruise visit.

regards

JBDownunder.

7. Re: Museum of Archaeology & Ferragosto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:17