We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Clarks Summit...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii or Herculaneum?

With two children, ages 10 and 6, do you suggest one over the other?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

It's impossible to answer that without knowing your children. My daughter loved both sites when she was young buy my son found them boring after an hour. It really depends on the kids and their interests.

Donna

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

With Herculaneum, this might be of interest for them...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g670330-…

... but I can't help wondering whether it would be a mistake, brought up over and over again, if they were to miss the chance to see Pompei?

Peter

uk
Level Contributor
542 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Pompeii is vast, so younger children would probably get bored, but Herculaneum is much more dramatic, we want to go again.

Try some research to help explain it to them.......

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Adults often have a life-long desire to see Pompeii because it's something they've always heard about but Herculaneum is better preserved and probably easier to grasp what it was like living in Ancient times. The Blue Guide used to (maybe still does) advise going to Herculaneum if you only have time for one site, rather than Pompeii, but if you're like most adults, you really want to see Pompeii.

The kids would probably dig the plaster casts of the dead and dieing at Pompeii. On the other hand, years ago (25?) at Herculaneum a guide took us over a barrier and across some planks on the mud to see some freshly excavated skeletons, and that was really cool, but I don't know if they are exhibiting that stuff yet.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Thomas144 you're talking about the famous skeletons excavated by Dr Sara Biesel. You were very lucky to see them - even though the guide obviously did the wrong thing lol!

As far as kids are concerned - before you go - do some research. As a history teacher, I find Pompeii fascinates my Grade 8 kids as much as it does my Grade 12 kids. I would choose a couple of sites inside Pompeii such as the House of the Faun, the Ampitheatre and the Fullery of Stephanus and tell them stories about each site before you leave. The House of the Faun was owned by a wealthy family - it takes a up a whole 'city block' (insula) and is one of the few homes that has two peristyles (gardens). The Ampitheatre was the site of a huge riot about ten years before the eruption - Emperor Nero banned the Pompeii people from holding games there for ten years as punishment. Of course there are the stories of the beast hunts and gladiator fights - which kids just love! The Fullery of Stephanus was our equivalent of a laundromat - and kids can't believe they washed items in urine. Yes....it's true.

They're just some examples. Tell the stories beforehand and when you get there, allow the kids to find the sites you've talked about using their own maps maybe?

They will never forget Pompeii!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Herculaneum definitely! Pompeii is huge and IMHO much of the same. You could even do Herculaneum, get a pizza (there's a few good places on the street down from the staion to the site) and go up Vesusvius on the same day. 10 yrs should be all right as it's not such a long or tedious walk, 6 I'm not entirely sure though.....

Sez.

7. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:18