We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

Hi

My dSLR and lens are spendy and probably somewhat conspicuous. A friend who has family in Naples (natives to Naples) told me to leave it at the hotel when I walk around and just take my pocket camera (also digital, but not nearly as spendy). I will be alone (and am blonde, petite, etc).

Good idea? Will a cross-body purse be good enough for the day, as well?

Thanks

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

In the daytime, in the middle of the tourist area, if I wanted to take pictures with it I'd bring it.

I'm a short, middle-aged woman and I wander about Naples with a cross-body purse all the time, day and night, often alone.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 21:14
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

I would not walk around with anything valuble looking in Naples. My 20-something daughter in the past has been harassed by neopolitan men,who had a hard time taking no for an answer, even though she is traveling with her Strega (me). Not jsut in Naples, but when I visit Italy, I carry most of my cash and my credit cards in a money belt under my clothes.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

Don't be worried.

I am short, blonde, weigh 130 pounds (too much information lol!) - apparently a 'target' for attention but it is nothing more than mild appreciation which - to be honest I find flattering and just brush it off. As for your camera, take it. Little pocket cameras don't do this area justice as the light in the tiny streets can be low. No one will pay you any attention - people are just going about their business and the place is not riddled with shady characters.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

Thank you everyone! Who knows, maybe by the last day I will be so sick of lugging it around I will be ready for just the little one.

What about Naples airport? I have heard to watch your luggage at train stations, but what about at the airport?

5. Re: Spendy camera, wandering around Naples (Spaccanapoli etc)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:17