We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Which method of travel would make more sense when traveling with luggage that I plan on checking at the luggage storage in Pompeii?

Travel by train from Rome to Pompei and taxi to the main Pompeii entrance

Or

Travel by train from Rome to Naples, then train from Naples to Pompeii and walk to the main entrance with luggage?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Both are reasonable but I would go Plan B - train to Naples then switch to Circumvesuviana. It is much cheaper from Naples to Pompeii at only 4.20 euros and a very short walk to luggage storage.

Just be aware that there may be crowds - this service is very popular and busy.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

I am worried about the crowds since I will have luggage... How much would a taxi cost from main pompei to Pompeii scavi?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

This link is from the Rome Forum for travel to Naples/Pompeii: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k43…

When you arrive at Napoli Centrale, follow the signs for the Circumvesuviana (downstairs).

I agree wholeheartedly with Kathy, be aware the train to Pompeii Scavi can be very crowded & busy, also it is short on luggage space. Usually there are people standing in the aisles jockeying for space, which supplies amble opportunity for pickpocketing so be aware.

The entrance to Pompeii is just to the right when you exit the station at Pompeii Scavi.

You don't say what time of the year you'll be visiting. If it is summer, remember to bring a water bottle with you as there's limited shade and the huge site can get quite hot.

Have a wonderful visit to (yet another) beautiful part of Italy.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 22:20
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

It's only about a kilometre - in fact its walking distance - so I would image not more than ten euros and that's being generous but I don't know this for sure - this is just a guess.

Don't be concerned about luggage - people get on the Circumvesuviana all the time with bags the size of a football stadium so it can be done. Also, depending on the time of day you travel, it may not even be crowded - early is good as Pompeii opens at 8.30 but it seems not many people are up at that time as I've been there at opening and its almost empty.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

The 1st fast train of the day arrives from Rome to Naples central at 8:45.... I will be traveling on a Sunday in September.....I guess I'll just have to deal with the crowds and hope I can fit on the train to Pomeii with my luggage... Thanks for responding! I love all the info that I get on TA :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Still September 15th?

If so, how about a bus service that leaves Rome's Tiburtina bus depot at 07:00, and reaches Pompei by 10:00 - with tickets costing just 17 Euro...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k545…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Swansea, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Related question - I'm travelling to Rome in October and hoping to make the trip to Pompeii. Is it much cheaper to buy train tickets in advance, or am I better off buying on the day to allow for time flexibility?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

Yes they are cheaper if you buy them in advance... I think you can get them three months before your trip....

In response to taking the bus... that adds an extra hour of travel time.....

How often does the Circumvesuviana run??? I don't see any schedules.....

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

It can be considerably cheaper to buy tickets in advance, however - with the main discount schemes - those are then valid only for the particular train booked.

Have a look, starting here - asking for trains from Roma and to Napoli Centrale..... where most people then change trains, to take the local Circumvesuviana service, tickets not available on line, to their "Pompei Scavi station"!

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Offer terms etc

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

If there's any chance you'll be delayed, and can't catch that one, they're effectively worthless... similarly only limited options, if any, for changes!

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Pompeii best method of travel?

The sales "window" for Trenitalia tickets stretches out to a maximum of four months - unless clashing with the twice yearly cycle of timetable changes!

For the Circumvesuviana's current timetables for their Naples / Sorrento line, the one that also serves Pompei Scavi, look here:

http://www.eavcampania.it/web/node/95

Peter

Edited: 16 May 2013, 15:21