We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Italian city for new year?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which Italian city for new year?

Hi guys!

Me and my partner are thinking of heading to Italy for new year, but are undecided which city to go for. Naples sounds like it has the biggest celebration, but the thought of getting hit by things being thrown from people's windows is worrying! Also on the pictures I've seen, Naples looks quite run down. I loved venice, just wondered if any of you had and advice to offer?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

I spent last New Year's Eve in Naples. Don't worry about things getting thrown from windows - I didn't see it happen but I was down by the bay where the best celebrations were happening. The fireworks went on for almost an hour and it was a wonderful party atmosphere without the drunks and loons you get in Sydney. I felt safer in Naples than a Sydney NYE. I loved it and would happily go back.

Naples is a huge city and has been continually occupied for over 3000 years. When Romulus and Remus were washed up on the Tiber, Naples was well and truly a bustling Greek city so of course it's going to look a little tired (like my Aunty Pat after a few too many sherrys!). Just look past this and you'll find a city full of history, architecture and priceless art as well as a beautiful bay. Try venere.com and key in Piazza Plebiscito for the Naples district - it's down by the water and absolutely gorgeous.

I've got some Naples photos here including one of NYE 2013. Hope I've convinced you!

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

Ah that sounds lovely!! Your photos look good too, thank you for your reply, very helpful x

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

I really enjoyed my brief visit to Naples - it was only a few weeks ago.

I have spent New Year's Eve in Venice and in Orvieto (several years apart). Italians really know how to celebrate - you will have fun wherever you decide to go.

Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

If you choose Naples, know what to expect:

http://youtu.be/bHPLXoc1-ck

Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

thejurist, That fireworks display was fantastic, how long does that go on for?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

Naples is quite run down, but I haven't spent New Year there. I have spent New Year in both Florence (once) and Venice (twice). Both destinations were brilliant. Florence had mini concerts in various squares - we were in Piazza della signoria. Venice has a concert every year in Saint Mark's Sq, followed by a spectacular fireworks display.

Personally, whilst I adore Florence, I found the atmophere in Venice much friendlier / less edgy, for example, the first year I went, being from London I assumed we would not be able to take bottles of champagne / glases into the square and realised too late that there would be no problem. At midnight, some locals gave us a bottle!

Really, I think wherever you choose yo go you will have a great time as most cities have events planned.

7. Re: Which Italian city for new year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:21