We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

I am traveling with my husband and 3 kids (13, 11, 7) to Italy in August. My kids are huge enthusiasts for ancient history (those Asterix comics did it), and want to see everything Roman. So we will be spending a week in Rome, of course. But then, we want to travel down to Naples to see Pompeii and the archaeological museum. And also to indulge in a bit of nostagia for myself - I spent a summer in Naples many years ago while in college, and loved the city. However, I am finding the logistics with a family to be far more daunting than when I was a carefree college student living with a local family.

My tentative plan is to arrive in the morning, do Naples and the museum, spend the night, go to Pompeii the next day ( with my kids, it will take most of the day), spend the night, and then return to Rome.

The first problem is lodging. It seems to be insanely difficult to find hotel rooms for a family of 5. In Rome, we are booking an apartment, but we won't be in Naples long enough. Also, I don't really want to stay near the train station, which I recall as being a really dicey area. My recollection is that Vomero is the nicest, but a pain to get to from the train station. Any advice on lodging in a nice area for a family of 5?

I also am not huge on trying to schlep 3 kids, husband, and bags through the train station. We are New Yorkers, so we are pretty hip to pickpockets, but in some ways that makes it scarier. So now I am wondering if there are other options. Are there package tours from Rome to Naples/Pompeii? Or are there tours that will pick up at the hotels in Naples? With 5 people, sometimes it is actually cheaper to use a package tour than to spend for all the train tickets (Rome-Naples, and then the Circumvesuviana).

Are we better off renting a car and staying outside the city? My old friend from college (whose family I stayed with) recommended doing that. He still lives in the area.

Any other advice for a family visit to Naples?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,433 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

You will need 2 rooms (this place has triples), but it's low cost. I stayed at the Vill dei misteri Hotel myself for 10 days in 2007

http://www.villadeimisteri.it/

rates

http://www.villadeimisteri.it/hotel_rates.htm

It has a pool and is very near the Circumvesuviana stop, and the Porta Marina entrance to Pompeii. Yo can easily take the Circumvesuviana to Naples and explore the Museum and anything else in Naples you want to see. The food is unspectacular so I would only buy breakfast if that. We stayed there in Feb so a lot of the restauratns in modern Pompei were closed, so we used to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento after Pompeii closed, and eat and shop there and retrun about 9-10pm to the hotel in Pompei.

Pictures of hotel

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

View from Balcony of Pompeii

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

That is in Pompeii though. We wouldn't be able to go to the archaeological museum from there. On the other hand, my kids would KILL for that swimming pool!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,838 posts
3. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

Why can't you go into Naples from Pompei to the museum? It's not that far - that is IF you want to stay there instead of Naples.

The Naples train station, I find, is very nice these days and is not that big (compared to say Milano Centrale or Roma Termini) - and, it's all flat. You leave the train and walk out the front door on the same level, so it is not difficult to navigate. Yes, of course, keep your belongings safe and close to you but you do that anywhere, it's no different there.

It's a challenge to find rooms for five people and every person must be counted as they require the passport for each guest upon check in (they give it right back but they report details to police - it's the law there - has been forever).

Check www.venere.com to see what is available for your needs - you can sort there by type of room needed, budget, etc.

You might check places in the neighborhoods of Piazza Bellini, Chiaia, Vomero - or down by the area near the harbor - here's a mini description of some of the different neighborhoods (though my guidebook has better info - you might want to check yours): frommers.com/destinations/…0058020048.html

This site too has some good info -

http://www.napoliunplugged.com

I don't know of any tours to do this - though they might exist and someone else here may know about such tours.

This is, though, very doable on your own.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

My memory of the town around Pompeii, and granted, this was years ago, was that it was kind of blah. I guess that swimming pool at the hotel would give my kids something to do though. But I wouldn't be able to take them to get real Neapolitan pizza for example. Or any of the other wonderful food. Am I wrong - are there restaurants and things to do in Pompeii besides the ruins?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,838 posts
5. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

I sure wouldn't stay there - but, yes, there is a town with some restaurants. I've just been through it - haven't stayed - have no interest in doing so.

I think you will find lodging in Naples - personally, staying there is a heck of a lot more appealing to me than Pompei. For just two days, I wouldn't let the pool be a factor.

You could check the hotel I am staying at in the Fall - they seem to have some larger rooms - I wouldn't use their online availability check; I'd email them directly and let them know what you need and include the ages of your children. See if there is anything they can do for you.

http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com

They get decent reviews here and I like the neighborhood a lot:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187785-d646334…

New York
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
39 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

I agree about not staying near the train station. What I'm discovering is that so many people who speak negatively about Naples are the ones who stay right near the train station. It would be like coming to NY and staying somewhere like Hunts Point and then saying NYC is not a good place to visit!

I recently spent 3 nights at a lovely B&B in the Santa Lucia neighborhood. I don't know that the B&B would work for your family, but I loved the neighborhood.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187785-d147524…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

Right now, I am strongly considering this hotel

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

They have rooms that will fit our family, and I like the decor from the photos. Any ideas on the neighborhood? My memories are so hazy, and back when I stayed in Naples, I was in Vomero and Pozzuoli for the most part. We explored all over the city, but those two areas are the ones I really remember best.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
167 reviews
185 helpful votes
8. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

Hi Ratgirlny

Your choice is in a great area. It's close to the Archaeological Museum and metro stops Museo and Dante. It's a colourful, vibrant neighbourhood with great food and atmosphere.

You could also check out the Hostel of the Sun which has 'dorm rooms' which will fit you all in - and the bonus is this place is cheap. For only two nights it may be a consideration? It's down by the port, walking distance to the waterfront and even a brisk walk to Napoli Centrale - otherwise an 11 euro fixed cab fare.

Hope you fall in love with Naples all over again.

9. Re: best way to set up a 2 day visit to Naples/Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16