We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides in Italy .......

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Guides in Italy .......

It is my understanding that guides are licensed in Italy for specific sites and that a guide licensed to guide at Pompeii, for example, may not be qualified or licensed to guide at other historic sites. I have also heard that a driver, even though he may be licensed as a guide, cannot do both things at once. Is this accurate?

I am planning a day trip from Naples to Pompeii, Herculaneum and will visit for a 1-2h period at a Museum in Naples that same day. We had originally planned Museo Nazional Archaeological but it is closed on the day we are in Naples. So, I'm now planning on the Museo Nazional di Capodemonte. I have a guide and believe for Capodemonte in particular a guide is very helpful. Should I be concerned that the guide who is taking us through Capodemonte is the same guide taking us to Pompeii/Herculaneum?

New York
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides in Italy .......

I would be much more concerned of how it is you plan to visit all 3 places in one day! Pompeii is easily a minimum of a half a day.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides in Italy .......

Such things are actually done at a regional level, so it's the Campanian authorities who regulate guides here!

And - as far as I'm aware (having lived in the area since 2003) - it's "all or nothing"... so they either are or aren't qualified and registered, and can or can't operate anywhere at all in the region!

You'll perhaps get some idea of the many requirements they have to meet by using an autotranslator on this...

…campania.it/portal/…

But, for your safety - and theirs - I too have also understood that it's forbidden for them to drive you around!

Picked randomly from a Google search, the photos of this guy show him wearing the sort of badge you should look out for:

http://pompeitour.com/?page_id=15

Having made that same Tuesday mistake myself almost a decade ago - but as yet still not forgotten or forgiven by the friends whom we dragged over from Ischia with us - I eventually put this together to show what's open when....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k53…

Trust that's some help?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Atlanta
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides in Italy .......

Thank you Peter. Very concise and helpful answer.

4. Re: Guides in Italy .......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 05:18