We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spacca district

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Spacca district

I'm reading an older guidebook: Daytrips Italy by Earl Steinbicker. In it he states "be cautious about taking photos in the Spacca district", with no other explanation. What's up with that?

Turin
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Spacca district

Many indigenous are still afraid that the camera can steal their souls.

I'd be really delighted to have a pic of you asking about the Spacca district in Naples...

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spacca district

I don't know. I've taken many, many pics in the historic district. Nothing bad happened to me.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spacca district

I took many photos in the Historic Centre (Spaccanapoli) recently - there is nothing to worry about.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spacca district

I took lots and lots of photos as well.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spacca district

NapOrsoCapo: It seems like you are trying to tell me something more with your last statement???

Turin
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spacca district

Just call it Spaccanapoli and you'll be fine.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spacca district

Just in case you're interested, after reading her piece on another travel site, I found that the writer had posted a review here as well....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187785-…

Too near to home for me - but the sort of tour I'd love to find being duplicated in other cities!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spacca district

NorOrsoCapo...oh, is it that people object to the abbreviation? Kinda like people from San Francisco would never call it 'Frisco'...it marks you as an out-of-towner for sure.

I still think it's odd that the old tour book said not to take pictures in the Spacca district and gave no further explanation.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spacca district

Try Googling the phrase "Spacca district" !

It rather looks to be the writer's own invention - with almost no results, other than multiple appearances of your thread on TA's many many websites?

P

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spacca district

"I still think it's odd that the old tour book said not to take pictures in the Spacca district and gave no further explanation."

Lot's of people think Naples is dangerous and recommend not even going. It was obviously just his perception. Obviously an outdated one!!

Get answers to your questions about Naples