We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangerous?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Dangerous?

Is Naples as really as bad as people say? I am transferring at the train station, to and from Sorrento. Both of my transfer will be during the afternoon- between 1600-1800. I have both read and heard stories about pick pockets and things being stolen even from aware and experienced travelers. I have travelled through European, Asian, and American cities, and have never experienced any problems before, but am feeling a bit of uncertainty from all the stories I have heard about. I don't wear jewelry, but will travel with my Ipad and digital slr camera in my bag, and am most concerned about my passport. I suppose I am just hoping for some reassurance that Naples is just like any city- no worse. Some opinions please!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangerous?

I am so tempted to say "RUN SCREAMING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION - IT'S HORRIBLE - PEOPLE ARE BEATEN, ROBBED AND KILLED THERE ON AN HOURLY BASIS" just to see if people will believe that too.

Naples is a major city and you should take the same precautions you would in any other big city, but other than that it's a great place to visit. Too bad you're just passing through, you'll miss one of the most interesting cities in Europe.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangerous?

Why are americans so obsessed about their passports? There must be some strangre Freudian explenation.

Anyway these are the rules for a happy journey in Naples that my mom used to tell to all my girlfriends from northern Italy: no expensive watch or jewels in plain sight. Nothing, nada, zero. Keep your bag under your arm, the arm opposite the roadway. If you wear a rolex assume it will be stolen.

Of course beeing young and self confident they all ignored these rules and, of course, nothing ever happened to them.

Naples is a strange seductive place, undoubtedly it can be more dangerous than the average italian city but remember that many tourists visit it every year without problems.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangerous?

So you're simply at the train station - not out on the BIG BAD MEAN STREETS?

It's a walk through a safe, modern, well lit area to a downstairs platform and will take you all of 5-8 minutes. You will be fine.

Sheesh, I seriously can't believe the stories out there. Naples is not downtown Mogadishu or Kabul.

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangerous?

elstravels I felt like writing something similar! It's to the point of ridiculous how much this comes up.

"Why are americans so obsessed about their passports?"

Because without them we can't get back home and then we have to deal with the inconvenience while on vacation. We don't carry our passports at home so it's just one more thing to deal with on vacation that we don't normally deal with.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangerous?

I have never been hurt or robbed in the times I have been in Naples.

When I am in Italy I frequently travel on the trains and public transport. I keep my passport in a neck pouch under my shirt. I keep all my credit cards and euros in a money belt under my clothes.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangerous?

"o you're simply at the train station - not out on the BIG BAD MEAN STREETS?

It's a walk through a safe, modern, well lit area to a downstairs platform and will take you all of 5-8 minutes. You will be"

I have not been to the Naples train station since 2008. Has it changed since then? in 2008 it did not appear safe and modern, but creepy and run down. Many of people there seemed creepy also, but none of them hurt me or robbed me while I was there.

Unles I am traveling to or from the airport, I carry only a photocopy of my passport and I leve the real thing at my lodging

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangerous?

@Lupaling - this is what it looked like last time I was there - in January. Safe, modern, clean

sorrentoholiday.info/english/naples-central-…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangerous?

Nothing creepy about it. They have a nice big cafe right as you walk in the front, huge windows at which you can sit and watch the world go by while waiting for a train, some nice shops both on the first level and another level.

Of course, take the same precautions with your personal stuff as you would anywhere else - I don't do anything different there than I do when in California, London, NY, etc.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangerous?

Napoli Centrale has been significantly upgraded since I first used it in 2001.

Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dangerous?

Great! Thank you for all of your reassurances! I appreciate it. I was never worried about it before, but continue to hear so many things about it that I would not want to be misinformed or unprepared for what to expect. As for the Americans being protective of passports, I would imagine that it has something to do with the experiences of getting back into the country. Even with a passport, I have faced challenges, I can't imagine trying to do it without one!