We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Hi,

where can I get a time schedule for boats leaving from the port of Naples to Sorrento in July? Thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

No ferries, however two lines run hydrofoils between Naples and Sorrento - for details, try this earlier thread...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k62…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Wow I didn't realize the hydrofoils were so expensive, $16 per person! Is there any chance of the ferries coming back?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Coming back? Not sure I've ever seen them on that route!

The ferries here are quite large vessels, used for carrying cars, coaches and goods trucks to places that are unreachable by road... islands such as Ischia indeed!

But with the existing alternatives - roads round the Bay to Sorrento for such vehicles, the €4.10 Circumvesuviana railway ride from Naples and hydrofoils for anyone in more of a hurry - there's precious little incentive to run a ferry route?

Peter

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

It's not expensive - for a similar trip in Sydney - same distance from Sydney centre, 30 minutes to a popular seaside destination - costs $12.00 AUD on a hydrofoil.

I would way prefer the beautiful sea route than being crammed like a sardine in the sweaty Circumvesuviana any day. Just look upon it as a very, very cheap boat trip - and if you compare a private trip in a car to Sorrento (over 100 euros) or indeed a private boat trip - $16.00 for this stunning sea trip is well worth the money.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Do your own conversion, but note that - as well as adult tickets at €12.30 - one also has to pay Alilauro separately for the carriage of large items of luggage, at an additional €2 per piece....

www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe…

And no, I can't tell you at exactly how big a size they start charging... although you WILL be prevented from boarding if without a supplementary ticket for any that need/s one.

It's the same on their Ischia hydrofoils - for which we find it simplest show the bag concerned to the person in the ticket office.... and let them decide, hopefully on a similar basis to the guys out on the boarding dock!

Peter

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

I mean the Metrodelmare

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

You may well do... but see:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k61…

... and....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g194863-i286-k66…

Peter

8. Re: Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:18