We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip help

Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip help

Hi

We arrive in Naples (cruise)mid August for the day. My husband has some walking difficulties following a stroke so don't really want to be wandering around Pompei for 2 hours (which is what most tours offer) but would rather take in the views, Sorrento, Amalfi coast etc and have time for a stroll/lunch then return to ship. Does anyone have any names of companies that do just this.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip help

Do you want to see these places from the water? If so, then just take a hydrofoil to Sorrento, have a look around and then take one on to Positano, have some lunch at the waterfront and head back to Naples. Cheap and very scenic.

Alternatively you could have a private driver/car company take you via the road but Positano would require some walking and steps. I wouldn't recommend the train, given your husband's mobility. A car company I use is www.worldtours. it but there are many others, so search the forums for some more information.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip help

Thanks Kathy for your help. I like the idea of water transport, could be good for the high temperatures in August! Have you any idea how close the hydrofoil is from the cruise terminal, maybe a taxi would be good. Also how long does it take, port/Sorrento/Positano/port. I assume with the hydrofoil you can get off and just wait for the next boat. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip help

The hydrofoil is at the Molo Beverello port which is very close to the cruise terminal - you can see it from the cruise ships. The hydrofoils are like buses and depart regularly. Last time I got a hydrofoil to Capri I just turned up and jumped on the next one leaving. It takes about 40 minutes to Sorrento, or thereabouts. With your husband's mobility, you may want to ask the cruise liner how to get to Molo Beverello as it may be too close for a taxi. I don't know if the port authority runs internal shuttles but if they do, it would be a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Molo Beverello
Molo Beverello
124 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip help

Ok Kathy so if I've got this right - take a hydrofoil to Sorrento, get off, then take one on to Positano, get off, then take a return hydofoil back to ship. I see that you are an expert in Herculaneum. Where is this in relationship to the Naples? We have been told it is better than Pompei!

Thanks again Sue

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Naples
Naples
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip help

Yes, to get back you need to change at Sorrento - there are no direct services to Naples any more unfortunately, however the trip is so beautiful it doesn't matter.

Herculaneum and Pompeii were both covered by the same AD79 volcanic eruption but whilst Pompeii was rained on by pumice and ash, Herculaneum was covered by mud which hardened like concrete. The upside of this was not only did it preserve buildings, it also preserved organic material by carbonising it. You will see wooden beams, stairs and even perfectly functional wooden doors.

The site we see today is more compact than Pompeii because most of the rest of the ancient city lies under the modern town of Ercolano.

Many people believe it is 'better' - but it is just different. It takes less time to cover it, more of the wall frescoes are visible and the Herculaneum Conservation Project has done an amazing job of restoring the site (in 2001 it was crumbling to dust).

Herculaneum is closer to Naples. You could get there by taxi. It costs 70 euros for a return trip with a two hour waiting period. Thing is, your husband may find the terrain somewhat difficult (does he walk with an aid like a stick or a frame?). If he can walk on his own but likes to take it slow, then Herculaneum may suit. Once you're down on the ancient sea floor area, there are some stairs up (about 15-20) then you're in the ancient town which is mostly level and compact. Some photos of Herculaneum are here:

…blogspot.com.au/2013/05/herculaneum.html

A schedule of ferries to Sorrento are here:

http://www.alilauro.it/

Sorry this is so long!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Ercolano
Ercolano
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip help

Fit female traveler in 30's travelling solo. I want to go up Vesuvius, see Pompeii and Herculaneum, museums in Naples, and most importantly, swim in the Mediterranean. Where would I go swimming? Capri would be nice too. Can I do this all on budget: hostels, buses, etc? Are there any convents or churches I could stay at? I'm a smart and responsible traveler. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Naples
Naples
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip help

Kathy - Thanks for this information on Herculaneum, including the links! I've been reading guidebooks and this forum for a month or so, and this is the most helpful information I've seen on Herculaneum, and how it differs from Pompeii (which I've already visited).

Edited: 26 July 2013, 17:21
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip help

Thank you Kathy for being so helpful. My husband can walk about without the aid of stick or frame but his stroke has made him slow and fretful of any unusual obstacles! I'm sure with your advice we will have a great time. Again many thanks.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip help

Maddiemoo - Herculaneum has a gently sloping ramp down to the ancient sea floor. From memory it has hand rails. It is also under cover as it is tunnelled out of the hardened volcanic mud. For those with mobility needs, Herculaneum is a good option - with the exception of the stairs up to the ancient town but as I said, if your husband takes his time, he will be fine. I've seen very elderly people slowly going up those stairs, just pausing for a breath or two and they did it without any problems.

Also, Herculaneum has no cafes - just a vending machine for drinks - so take some water and snacks. The main town has some nice options for eating on the main road which is very accessible - no stairs once you exit the ancient town and it's all level. I hope you have a wonderful stay.

Hillside68 - post your question on a separate thread - you will get more responses :)

DolphinFan - thank you I'm glad this was helpful to you :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Missouri
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip help

How do you get taxi for this fare? Read they try to overcharge. Any bus tours to Herculaneum and/or tours of Naples?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy