We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Naples

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Naples

Have one day in Naples.... besides Pompei wwhat else should 2 Seniors do?/ thanks

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Naples

Only you can decide what else to see in Naples, there's certainly plenty to experience, as you can see by clicking the Things to Do tab above. Perhaps a visit to the National Archaeological Museum where artifacts from Pompeii and the area are displayed:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187785-d1…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Naples

Pompeii is not in Naples - it's about 45 minutes south depending on traffic or if you're using the train, they run about two per hour. If you're on a cruise, you may or may not have time to do anything else. Pompeii is enormous and it takes a while to cover even if you're just targeting the popular sites e.g. the distance between the amphitheatre and the Villa of Mysteries would take about 45 minutes to an hour to walk due to all of the road closures inside Pompeii.

However, if you do have the time, I second ocpony's advice to visit the archaeological museum as it will make your visit to Pompeii more meaningful. Here is some information.

…blogspot.com.au/2013/05/pompeii-for-senior-…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Naples

Thabks so yes I am on a cruise so maybe I should just do a tour around Naples see the ruins of Pompei at the meseum.. so hard to decide these things when I know nothing Tour from the cruise to Pompei is 3 1/2 hrs... could leave at 9am back at 12.30 and then tour Naples... Maybe a silly questions but is there a hop on off bus??

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Naples

Yes, there's a great HoHo bus but it doesn't go to Pompeii - it has three routes around Naples. I've taken one of the routes which goes to Mergellina (a very scenic seaside part of the city). It departs from the Castel Nuovo which is right beside the port - walking distance. They also have a little bus which goes down the narrow streets inside the historic centre.

http://www.napoli.city-sightseeing.it/eng/

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Naples

Thanks so much not sure if I want to spend 3 1/2 hrs on an expensive cruise trip to Pompei to see the ruins.. maybe just tour Naples on our own and see the museum...

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Naples

Nancy, the archaeological museum is closed Tuesdays, so hopefully that's not the day you're in town.

Another reason to avoid Pompeii, if you and your partner are seniors, Pompeii is also difficult if you have mobility issues - there is a lot of walking over very rough ground and shade is few and far between.

One of the HoHo buses will take you to the Archaeological Museum. If you're feeling up for some genuine Neapolitan pizza, Starita is a few blocks away from the museum. They're open for lunch from 11.30-3.30.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g187785…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Naples

Thanks Kathy Altough we are 65 and in pretty good shape... not sure I want to spend all my time in Pompei.. We will be there Thurs so all good..Think I will go with the Naples Hop on off or tour alone.. Thanks so much..

8. Re: One day in Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:20