We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Positano to Rome

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Positano to Rome

We have a 2.40pm flight out of Rome to Spain when we visit next yr. That morning we will be in Positano. What is the best way to get to the airport in time. Private transfer seems extortionate at $850. I see there are fast trains leaving Naples every hour. Is this the best way to go?? Is there a bus service?? Will this day be possible or have we not allowed enough time for the required travelling??

Sorrento
Level Contributor
545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

You have to be at the airport at least 12.30.

You can take a private driver to Naples and then train to Rome around 08.30/9 in order to be in Rome around 10.30

Private car service I use normally is Transferelax and to Rome for two it should charge around 350.00

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

You can fly Naples to Barcelona www.vueling.com

Bus Positano to Sorrento sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Bus Sorrento to Naples airport www.curreriviaggi.it

Bus Barcelona airport to Central Barcelona www.aerobusbcn.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

Never a good idea to be so far away from where you flying out of - but, since you are - I don't think a car all the way to Rome is a great idea as you never know what the traffic will be like; Personally, I always take a car service from Positano to Naples and take the fast 70 minute train. The car service runs about 100 or so euros - last two times I was there (both in one year and in off season so traffic was lighter than high season), there were incidents that closed the road for awhile (a boulder fell into it) and the second time there was a work slowdown effort near Sorrento that added about 1 - 1.5 hours to the trip to Naples. You just never know what can happen.

If you do this on the day of a flight - I would leave around 7 a.m. - it will likely take you about 3.5 hours or so altogether and if you have a bit of time on top to kill, it's better than being late.

I use Guemar Travel - info@guemartravel.com - I have used about 8 times - always excellent service (Positano to Naples and vice versa) - They alerted me the night before my return to Naples about the work stoppage near Sorrento and suggested they pick me up earlier than previously arranged and it was, indeed, very much needed.

I'm pretty astonished at the price you mention for the trip to Rome - I've never heard of such a price unless it is a large party and a large vehicle is needed but even then that is a stupid amount of money. That trip should run between 350-400 euros - but, again, I wouldn't do this - traffic can bunch up - I've had that happen.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

Thanks all for the advice. We have decided on a private transfer from Positano to Naples and then the fast train or a flight. This will depend on how timings/prices compare. Always great to get the information from those who have done it before!!

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

My ship will be in Naples from 7am to 6pm on 4th October & as I have been to Naples before was wanting to go from Naples to Positano for the day. I will be travelling with another two but might be more. I think the best way to go is by private car. Does anyone have any suggestions for car hire companies or alternate methods of travel

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

Hi Teco

I use this company www.worldtours.it - they are fantastic. Email with an enquiry and they'll get back to you but they're competitively priced. They'll take you on a great day out to Positano and back without any drama.

7. Re: Best way to get from Positano to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21