We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Topic
The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

You might know that church "opposite" Duomo, Pio Monte della Misericordia , here is the famous Sette opere di Misericordia, painted ca 1607. (The Seven Works of Mercy).

This is one of very top attractions I want to see.

There are at least two more paintings

First the magnificent The Flagellation of Christ up at the Capodimonte Museum. How do I travel to that museum, is it too far to walk from Santa Maria della Sanita, the church with the catacombs?

Second, Palazzo Zevallos di Stiglian in Toledo somewhere, with The Martydom of St Ursula. Have you been to this Palazzo? This only a 5 minute walk from my hotel, so I am very interested in visiting this place.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

The Capodimonte Museum is maybe 2km from the Sanita area, so yes it is walkable. It may not be the most pleasant walk though. I've been in that area a couple of times, and the further you get away from the centro storico, the less appealing it becomes.

I had never heard of Palazzo Zevallos di Stiglian before. I wish I had, as I would have visited it myself. From the website, it looks like they offer a tour each day (except Monday) at 10:00 and 18:00, and you have to reserve your visit in advance.

gallerieditalia.com/it/palazzi/palazzo-zeval…

United States
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

I don't remember having to take a tour at Palazzo Zevallos di Stiglian to see the Caravaggio painting and exhibit. It's a bank building and the Caravaggio exhibit is upstairs. I wandered around until the small room with the painting was empty and had it to myself for a while.

TAB

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

I now realize I am not travelling to Paris - the cleanest city of them all, and the most extensive metro system of them all - still thinking of my day walking around Sacre Cæur, using the metro as a taxi-service - there were metro stations everywhere :-)

I think I will manage fine with the "less appealing" aspects, to get around this city with public transport will be a challenge indeed. (just as with Vesuv).

You see, its not only Capodimont musuem, I was also thinking of visiting Fontanelle cemetery in this area. Even if that cemetry is close to (??) Materdel Metro, that long walk uphill into less populated area, I am not sure about that :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

Don't walk there. It takes a very long time and it is not really that easy to do. Once you get close you end up kind of stuck and have to work your way around and it's not that clear. When I did it a few years ago the sidewalk was closed and they were doing all this construction and we ended up in a bad spot that I won't bother describing. Take the bus or a cab there and then walk to the cemetery and catacombs from there.

I've seen all three and they are all worth seeing.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

OK. No walking from Santa Maria Sanita then.

Which means only two Caravaggio.

I dont take taxi in bright daylight unless I have to - so I can live without seeing Capoidimonte, and that even if this is the palace of the Kings of the Two Sicilies, a grand Bourbon palace built 1738.

Will instead take the metro down from Materdel down to Universita, and walk to them two castels, Nuovo and Ovo, the latter perhapse a long walk from Universita??

Edited: 10 September 2013, 23:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

We just saw the Saint Ursala a few days ago. It was nice just to see the inside of the building, which is beautiful. There is a restoration in progress in a room on the ground floor, with some explanatory information. The Saint Ursala is upstairs (there is a small fee) and has some very good descriptive information on the walls in Italian, but there are booklets in a small rack in English if you look around (I missed them at first). Saint Ursala is in a separate room, and a few other things in other rooms, but some of it seemed to be closed off. Only a few other people there the whole time.

7. Re: The Caravaggio-paintings, have you seen them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:19