We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

We will be arriving in Naples on the evening of 17th October and staying overnight and then travelling on to Salerno on the 18th to visit our son who is studying there. The only reason we are staying in Naples is that the flight arrives in the evening and we didn't want to do the onward journey thus arriving in Salerno quite late.

I have now found out that there is to be a general strike on 18th October - which is my birthday - so it's really important that we get to Salerno on that day to see him. I understand that the public transport workers will be on strike but is there any other way we can get to Salerno - Sita bus? Taxi?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Turin
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

Workers are not forced to strike, they can choose. Italo's employees prefer to keep working. Did you check their website?

By law there are some Trenitalia trains that run also during strikes.

England
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have checked the Trenitalia website and there appears to be only 1 guaranteed train from Napoli Centrale to Salerno at 6.30 am. I think it is too early to see whether there will be other trains but do not want to leave it too late if we need to book a taxi transfer. It may be best just to press on to Salerno by taxi on the 17th.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

Sometimes they do not do the announced strike.

A private transfer would be eur 90.00/100.00

Turin
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

Why don't you take Italo? They don't strike and their HS trains to Salerno leave from Naples Central Station at 10:17, 11:22 and 13:20. There are tickets at 10 Euro per person, one way.

Are you sure that Trenitalia guarantees only one train? It seems a little strange to me.

5. Re: General strike Oct 18th - need to get from Naples to Salerno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:19