We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights in Naples - what to do?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights in Naples - what to do?

I am starting to plan/read the forum a good few months ahead of our trip to Capri, Naples and the Amalfi Coast next May.

I would really appreciate your views on how best to spend the fairly limited time we will have in Naples and where to stay.

We will arrive from Positano by ferry mid to late morning, spend 2 nights in Naples and then have to leave very early to travel back to Rome to catch our return flight to the UK at 13.05. I know, I'm already thinking we need more time!

Main questions:

Where should we stay?

Can we rely on a taxi to get us to Naples railway station in time for an 8am train or should we stay in easy walking distance of the station?

We would like to see Herculaneum but what else should we prioritise in Naples? We're happy to just get a "feel" of the city with a view to returning for a longer visit some day.

Where should we eat? Obviously pizza is a must but we have two nights...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

There is no ferry from Positano to Naples; you could take the ferry from Positano to Sorrento and then a ferry from Sorrento to Naples, if they are running at the time you are there. Or, the bus/train combo Positano to Naples.

Yes, a taxi is dependable to take you to the train station in the morning.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

Thank you for the information about the ferry. I must have misunderstood something I read. Any idea how long we should allow for the Positano - Sorrento - Naples ferry connection?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

I made a few comments when you posted this on my trip report thread, but I wanted to add that I always try to "walk around" an area where I'm thinking of staying using the street view feature on google maps. It gives you a sense of what the area is like--if there are stores or restaurants nearby or if it looks more deserted than I would like. It's a little tricky in places like Naples because the narrow streets and pedestrianized areas cause some glitches but it won't be a total surprise when you arrive.

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

You should definitely do the Archaeology museum - its has the artefacts and murals from Pompeii and you will never, anywhere else in the world get the chance to see what Roman houses really looked like inside (rather than just the brickwork you see at sites). Well, strictly this is not true - murals were sold to museum as far away as the Met in New York. But this is still the most impressive collection.

uk
Level Contributor
528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

We've just come back from a wonderful week there........

We stayed on the edge of the historic quarter, near Piazza Dante, do not stay around the station, it can be quite risky especially after dark.

It's no more than a couple of miles from the station, but you can get the Dante Metro straight into the station, in minutes.

The area is stuffed with some of the loveliest churches and artworks in the world, all within walking distance.

The Montesanto funicular will take you up to the Castel St Elmo, which on a clear day will give amazing 360 degree views, taking in the harbour, Mergellina, Posillipo, Pozzuoli, Isle of Ischia, the areas behind Naples, the historic quarters and Vesuvious and the Sorrentine cape and Capri.

Don't be put off by the height of the castle, there is a lift right to the top.

Coming down from Montesanto, is the Spignasseca market, full of fruit, fish, vegetables and tat.

There are some excellent local restaurants, selling wonderful local dishes for next to nothing.

We ate some lovely pasta and seafood, meat and imaginative vegetable dishes without going anywhere near pizzas.......

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

Thank you. It sounds as if you had a wondrful time and your post has given me a completely different view on where to stay. Thank you. I'll start researching the area. May get back to you with more questions if that's ok.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

I myslef always overnight in the city i which my plane is leaving from. When I have vacationed in the Bay of Naples and flown in and out of Rome, I go to Rome the day before my flight and overnight near Termini. I don't want to chance a long train ride from another city to be on time, or worst for there to be a strike. Recently we flew in and out of Venice and visited Emilia Romagna, and we overnighted in Mestre.

uk
Level Contributor
528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

You are welcome, we are very much in love with the city...... it can be very frustrating, it's like peeling an onion, there's so many layers, we only know one small area, others know about different areas.

We really think it is one of the best places in Europe , though.

9. Re: Two nights in Naples - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18